Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

A challenge to the uber slick installers out there

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 06:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'07 CLS 550, 09 GL320
A challenge to the uber slick installers out there

When using an aftermarket iPod integration kit the CD Changer in my CLS550 becomes obsolete. I also happen to be an amatuer radio enthusiast so installing a mobile VHF/UHF radio in the car in a way that makes it appear unmodified would be really slick.

Here is the thought. Since the CD Changer is unused with the iPod integration kit, can I (or a qualified installer) remove the changer from the motorized carrier and fabricate install a bracket in the CD changer's place to allow the remote face plate of the VHF/UHF radio to be mounted in the space where the changer now resides, which would allow access to the VHF/UHF radio controls by opening the CD changer compartment door?

When closed, you would never notice a VHF./UHF radio in the car and then upon pressing the access button the motorized trim would move up and the faceplate for the VHF/UHF radio would appear where the CD changer had been.

Any of you guys out there know if the mechanical/motorized portion of the housing would still operate without the CD Changer?

Any thoughts and advice are welcome as are any installer suggestions in Houston that might accomplish the task if I choose not to understake the install myself.
Old 08-03-2011, 07:09 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
G63, C190 AMG GTC, W209 CLK63 BS, W208 CLK430
I'm not familiar with the car, but you could always unplug the changer and see if the motorized function still works. If not, you could make some wiring modifications to get it working.
Old 08-04-2011, 12:36 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2013 S350, 2021 GLS450
Originally Posted by TexasRedNeck

Any of you guys out there know if the mechanical/motorized portion of the housing would still operate without the CD Changer?

The cd changer should have nothing to do with the motorized trim's ability to move. I have no changer, the space is used for extra storage and the trim moves fine. The only problem I see is with removing the cd changer, you will need to re-route the signal for the fiber optic network (MOST), unless the VHF/UHF radio hooks in through the MOST.
Old 08-04-2011, 06:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
beater with a heater
I have done this before...not the VHF part... but removing the changer and installing a DVD player... I had to modify it somehow to work... but it is doable
Old 08-05-2011, 09:37 AM

'07 CLS 550, 09 GL320
Originally Posted by jbondox
I have done this before...not the VHF part... but removing the changer and installing a DVD player... I had to modify it somehow to work... but it is doable
Thank you for the information. Any info on how you had to modify would be appreciated.

Also, there is an auto shut function, for lack of a better word, that shuts the compartment after several seconds of inactivity. Is there anyway to defeat the feature so that it would stay open until the open/closed button is pressed again?
Old 08-05-2011, 09:39 AM

'07 CLS 550, 09 GL320
Originally Posted by SnowCub
The cd changer should have nothing to do with the motorized trim's ability to move. I have no changer, the space is used for extra storage and the trim moves fine. The only problem I see is with removing the cd changer, you will need to re-route the signal for the fiber optic network (MOST), unless the VHF/UHF radio hooks in through the MOST.
Thanks for the information. Does your storage compartment cover automatically shut its self?