Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Navigation system - Map view question, please help...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-20-2003, 07:42 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 E320 4Matic
Scorchie - would you say it would be impossible to upgrade the software to make it work as some of us have suggested (forward view while not in map guidance)? Is it possible to modify the code and then reload it - without an upgrade from MB? I'm assuming an upgrade direct from MB is totally unlikely for these older systems.
Old 06-20-2003, 09:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
300ce
Changing the volume of the navigation voice in the manner you outline is possible only on certain versions of the COMAND. There are many different versions of COMAND and many different software versions, and they all have their own feature sets.

............Actually, my original comand was an early comand 2.0 that came in my 2000 CLK 320. Other than the early Comand 2.5's which came in the S class and Cl class, mine was about as old as it gets and this featuire was available. I later changed to Euro Comand and got TV, DVd, playstation 2, and wireless internet integrated to my Comand. I have been tinkering with Comands since early 2000 and aware that there are various types of comand with different software. However, the ability to adjust the volume of the audible navigation instructions is not a big secret and is available in every Comand I have encountered. There was a thread about this on this forum in 2001. Just go follow these steps........go to your comand, push the nav button, then select settings, you will encounter a menu that allows you to caliberate the comand in case you change your tire size etc. At the bottom, there is a selection for sound. Select the sound selection and you can then adjust the volume of the navigation instructions. Trust me on this.

Ted
Old 06-20-2003, 09:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

300ce
............Another way to turn of the lady is to wait till she speaks. While she is speaking, you can turn the volume down to off if you wish. Do not do this when she is not speaking, it won't work. The down side is that the next time you use the nav, it reverts back and you start to hear her again. A more permanet fix is the procedure I outlined above.

Ted
Old 06-20-2003, 09:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

300ce
I found a thread from late 2002 regarding this. Enjoy!

THE TWO WAYS TO MUTE YOUR NAVIGATION VOLUME!!

Ted
Old 06-20-2003, 04:05 PM

SL500
Thanks for the infos Ted...
Old 06-20-2003, 06:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
Originally posted by Ted Baldwin
............Another way to turn of the lady is to wait till she speaks. While she is speaking, you can turn the volume down to off if you wish. Do not do this when she is not speaking, it won't work. The down side is that the next time you use the nav, it reverts back and you start to hear her again. A more permanet fix is the procedure I outlined above.

Ted
Ted, I'm sorry... this is the method I thought you were referring to, and I was referring to. This method does not work on all COMANDs, only newer ones. On the newest ones, it will save the change.

-s-
Old 06-20-2003, 06:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by bostonbob
Scorchie - would you say it would be impossible to upgrade the software to make it work as some of us have suggested (forward view while not in map guidance)? Is it possible to modify the code and then reload it - without an upgrade from MB? I'm assuming an upgrade direct from MB is totally unlikely for these older systems.
I think this is very likely... in fact, there are German hackers who make changes to the COMANDs and reflash the units with new software. Unfortunately, I don't know anyone who would be willing to investigate doing the "direction always up" modification.

While we're on COMAND shortcomings, and it seems you use your COMAND in a way similar to me (to navigate without inputting a destination), don't you hate how you can't scroll the map unless you're inputting a destination? Another thing the M-class MCS navigation can do... scroll the map. It's nice to be able to "look ahead" while at a stop light or something, and zooming out removes too many roads.

-s-
Old 06-24-2003, 06:17 AM
Almost a Member!

2000 E320 4Matic
scorchie....

I agree with the other comment (look ahead - expanded screen without loss of detail) and would be nice to have. On the main subject, perhaps there's an enterprising hacker out there that could create the code to upgrade the system to meet our needs.

PS - any idea why the maps are so poor (detail) ?
Old 06-24-2003, 10:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

300ce
PS - any idea why the maps are so poor (detail) ?

...........I know that the Comand navigation system is not perfect but I do not think it is as bad as as it is being presented here. I have experience with the Pioneer as well as the Alpine systems. These are considered to be the best in the market yet I prefer the Comand partly because of the complete integration with the car. My experience is that a lot of the complaints about the Comand system stem from lack of experience using it. For instance, the Comand actually has tremendously detailed maps.......BUT not while you are navigating. While navugating the idea is to get you to where you are going with the least amount of distractions. To uncover the detail in the Comand maps.........Go to "destination via map, " from there you can enter any city you want or you can select your current location. The map of your selection will be displayed to gether with a cross. There are arrows arround the numeric key pads with which you can move the cross to any point in the map and the name of the street will be displayed to even the most remote streets. While driving, the position of your car relative to the street you have sellected will be shown and you can point your car towards it.

Ted
Old 06-25-2003, 06:23 PM

2011 C63, 2004 S500, 2013 E350, 2013 Ody Elite
Map Navigation...

I did use that feature quite offen...but not as offen as type in the address tho. The feature is there , you just have to get to know how to use it.
Old 06-29-2003, 02:27 AM
Almost a Member!

turning volume off

The simplest way to the volume off is when the "lady" speaks hit the mute button!!!! Pressing mute during a voice promt reverts back to audible prompts.
"RPT" repeats the last voice prompt. Press to hear, and you have a choice of changing the volume or muting while you hear the prompt as stated above.
Old 06-29-2003, 04:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Re: turning volume off

Originally posted by voudou58
The simplest way to the volume off is when the "lady" speaks hit the mute button!!!! Pressing mute during a voice promt reverts back to audible prompts.
"RPT" repeats the last voice prompt. Press to hear, and you have a choice of changing the volume or muting while you hear the prompt as stated above.
On one COMAND I tried, pressing mute while the voice prompt was active canceled that voice prompt. The next voice prompt was still audible. So it did not mute it in the way most people would want.

So it looks again, like this is a version-dependent feature.

-s-
Old 06-29-2003, 10:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

300ce
On one COMAND I tried, pressing mute while the voice prompt was active canceled that voice prompt. The next voice prompt was still audible. So it did not mute it in the way most people would want.

So it looks again, like this is a version-dependent feature.

..............yes this is version dependent, besides even when it works, this is temporary. I know people keep posting this and it does work sometimes. THE way to adjust the navigation volume in EVERY Comand is by the method I outlined earlier. No, it NOT software or version dependent.

Ted
Old 06-30-2003, 02:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by Ted Baldwin

..............yes this is version dependent, besides even when it works, this is temporary. I know people keep posting this and it does work sometimes. THE way to adjust the navigation volume in EVERY Comand is by the method I outlined earlier. No, it NOT software or version dependent.

Ted
Yeah, but the way you posted, on my COMAND does this:

When a voice prompt is to occur, the volume of the source changes, but no voice is heard.

Weird.

So, I don't consider this viable for myself... my music just stops for a few seconds.

-s-
Old 07-06-2003, 02:14 PM
kcy

Hi, everybody.

I recently purchase a 2002 CLK320 with COMAND navigation.

Does anybody know if the Map CD's from 2002 S500 can work on my 2002 CLK320 Navi ?

Thank you.