Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Complete "renovation" of OEM stereo system

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-09-2003, 10:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK 350 convertible
Complete "renovation" of OEM stereo system

Need experienced audio/videophile assisant whom have self "renovated" their OEM HU & CD changer. I have all the "material" for this total "renovation":

1. Alpine CVA-1004 6.5 inches monitors

2. Alpine CHA- S634 Ainet CD/MP3 changer

3. Aftermarket (not Alpine) DVD,VCR &TV tuner

4. Kenwood 4 channel amps.

5. 12 inches subwoofer

6. Secret plans to mount all the "Garbage" into one. Will reveal with picture after it is installed.

Since I have the material, I am trying to cut cost in favor of passing time with self installation but alas, I do not know where to starts with.

Need these experienced guidance from this forum. Please help with the installation of the above-mentioned material.

Dragon Baccarat System
Old 07-06-2003, 09:54 AM

E 420
Thumbs up

I have the same head unit and Cd changer you have and want to add it to my benz as well. please let me know how everything goes.
Old 07-06-2003, 11:35 AM

CLK 350 convertible
xca-1004/CD changer

Originally posted by triniblack
I have the same head unit and Cd changer you have and want to add it to my benz as well. please let me know how everything goes.
I have installed these two and are extremely happy from this transformation which has pushed the speakers a little bit. You need to fine tune the CVA-1004 to match the factory speakers to produce acceptable sound to your listening preferences. Though it sound good after the adjustment on the mid/high/bass, I still think that there are something which is missing and probably it is one extra amp that can power the front speakers (or change the front component speakers) and a small subwoofer(10") but that will need an extra investment of minimum $800 to $1200. Budget is always on my mind and I am not going to spend a total $3K to $4K for this complete change. Though I have the "material" like an old amp/subwoofer, I am still contemplating whether to installs it or not. To be frank, the sound produces from this unit are really acceptable as this is a moving vehicle which I do not think is wise to invest any further other than the basic change of HU. Anyway, CD quality is always good with any HU that rated better than OEM. The mid/high from this factory componentis good but clarity is way below the standard of good aftermarket speakers. Righ now I am going to lisrens for another two weeks from different CD to summarize the results from these speakers. I am indeed not sure whether the HU did not produce enough power for the speakers or the speakers did not matched the constant RMS from this HU.

Dragon Baccarat System
Old 07-10-2003, 05:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'04 Silverado Z71 - sold all my Benzes and need another!
I just read your thread. So, the install went okay? Please post some pics. when you can...Thanks...J
Old 07-11-2003, 12:49 PM

CLK 350 convertible
CVA-1004/CD changer

Here is the attachment that shows the "installed" items.

The On/Off switch in the empty slot replaces the action for "pressing & release" of brake pedal as required in the safety operation of the HU. During the installation of the HU, I brought along the Ai-Net cable(CD changer)/Audio cable and intructed the installer to pre-wired for my changer/subwoofer/amp for future installation (this pre-wiring save me some money). As it is pre-wired, all I have to do is hook up the main power source from the battery to the amp (the remote power is pre-wired too by the installer), subwoofer and installs the changer myself. The factory changer is easily uninstalled with only one single screw. All I do is replaces it with the Alpine Ai-net changer and it is set. I did not screw the Alpine changer to the glove compartment but with Velcro. I will give you more picture when VCR/DVD/AMP/SUBWOOFER are installed.

Dragon Baccarat System
Attached Thumbnails Complete "renovation" of OEM stereo system-mb46.jpg  

Last edited by dragon; 07-11-2003 at 12:56 PM.
Old 07-11-2003, 12:58 PM

CLK 350 convertible
here is another image.
Notice those pre-wires sticjkng out from the netting under the gloves comaprtment. My Pomeraniam listening to his favorite hits,hehehehe! The Ai-Net cable is too long (18 feet). If you are installing it in the glove compartment like in the picture, find a shorter Ai-net cable of 6 feet.Dragon Baccarat System
Attached Thumbnails Complete "renovation" of OEM stereo system-mb.jpg  

Last edited by dragon; 07-11-2003 at 01:03 PM.
Old 07-11-2003, 01:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Good job! Looks great!!! Thanks for the pics...
Old 07-11-2003, 01:11 PM

CLK 350 convertible
Here is another one.
The white tower is for my "spoiled" pomeraniam to moves around when it is wet and for him to moves around against the direction of sun. Scooby is screaming at me to get to the driver's seat as he is impatience with the summer heat.
Attached Thumbnails Complete "renovation" of OEM stereo system-mb48.jpg  

Last edited by dragon; 07-11-2003 at 01:16 PM.
Old 07-11-2003, 01:14 PM

CLK 350 convertible
Here is another one that the monitor is "hidden" inside the HU
Attached Thumbnails Complete "renovation" of OEM stereo system-mb49.jpg  
Old 07-11-2003, 01:20 PM

CLK 350 convertible
Here is the changer "velcroing" comfortably in the glove compartment.
Attached Thumbnails Complete "renovation" of OEM stereo system-mb50.jpg  
Old 07-11-2003, 01:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

His name is Scooby?!? That's what my sister also named her dog. Anyway, that looks really clean in your dash/console. I wish it would look that clean in my console but it clashes with the styling of the wood in the E class. I am probably going to end up mounting one in the console below the HU. BTW, how big is the back of the Alpine moniter, how deep is it? I like the way it looks and am wondering if it will fit in the slot under the HU in my console. Does it look to be standard in size as compared to your OEM stock HU?
Old 07-11-2003, 02:31 PM

CLK 350 convertible
Originally posted by jimmydagreek
His name is Scooby?!? That's what my sister also named her dog. Anyway, that looks really clean in your dash/console. I wish it would look that clean in my console but it clashes with the styling of the wood in the E class. I am probably going to end up mounting one in the console below the HU. BTW, how big is the back of the Alpine moniter, how deep is it? I like the way it looks and am wondering if it will fit in the slot under the HU in my console. Does it look to be standard in size as compared to your OEM stock HU?
I have a 1997 E320 which is "stored" in San Francisco for my "visiting" use. We use to fly in to SFO and then drive to Lake Tahoe/Reno for our gambling session. I have considered all option and by having two HU in one console does not matched at all (in my opinion).
The unit is measured 7x2x6 and it easily fits in the E420 with little modification. I have tried to installs it under the head unit but alas why "messed up" the console when we can have one unit sitting nicely with the monitor near to eye level and it is definitely better than OEM screen which sits just after the gear shift.
It is sad that I have to unistall the OEM HU and it is history now with no regrets. Turn the auto open/close on this unit then you can forget about the OEM look. It is more class than the OEM, this unit plus installation cost near to 1K and it is over kill the factory HU. Do not try to buy a better unit as it does not serve any purpose since it is for our own enjoyment.

Dragon Baccarat System

Last edited by dragon; 07-11-2003 at 02:34 PM.
Old 07-11-2003, 02:51 PM

E 420
Cool Nery Nice

excellent job. you have givin me some great ideas. Thanks for sharing you install. Enjoy
Old 07-11-2003, 03:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Cool. Thanks for the info...
Old 07-14-2003, 04:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheeled car.
I Was thinking about getting the same ALpine 1004 you got.

How does it sound? Also, I read that you need an extra box to get more outputs or something?
Old 07-14-2003, 02:01 PM

CLK 350 convertible
Originally posted by The Doctor
I Was thinking about getting the same ALpine 1004 you got.

How does it sound? Also, I read that you need an extra box to get more outputs or something?
It takes me approximately 2 months to research the pro & cons before I proceed to buy this unit.

After fine tuning, is far much better than our stock and the only flaw is that I have to turn the volume just a little higher than normal. With an amp of constant 25 watts RMS and that will let us have the normal volumn control.I have pre-wired for subwoofer/amp and still undecided whether to plug it as the sound is fine with me.

With regards to the input/output, this unit has limited to one input/output each and if you need extra, Alpine is selling one KCE-104Vfor three hundred bucks.

After reseaching on this matter, found out that any "adds-on" i.e. DVD player/VCP/games/camera, some have 2-3 input/output builts in and most of this have wireless remote control.

I am trying to get a non-Alpine DVD player (some with TV tuner)with one output(which will be going to the input of CVA-1004), watch it in the main screen(cva-1004) and if I need a rear monitor on the headrest then output from CVA1004 and if you need the third video source then get it from the second monitor AV output.

Always remember that any adds-on have all the "input/output"

In my opinion, Alpine have established quite strongly on these product and their add-on are simply taking advantage of consumers.

These are the two add-on for the CVA-1004, it look good when you first discover this products and I am sure consumers will regret after they installs it.

First, the KCE-104V which allows you to "input/output" to compensate the "retarded" CVA-1004 "retarded" input/output" and that is the part which I dreaded. By having the 104V, I have to find a place to "screwed", with more wires to handle/hide and if I am not wrong, it measured near to 10 inches width.

Another substitute is the "switch" for Audio/Video which is available everywhere. All you need is just the input to this switch which you can choose between any numbers from 1 to 10 source and then output to the HU.

The second add-on is the "430" with TV tuner and that is the same as the "104V" and slightly larger. When a car travelling
at or more than 45 mph, this speed outrun the signal and only can get one to two local channels.

I have finalized my complete "renovation" that will have the followings:

Alpine CVA-1004 Multimedia FM/AM
Alpine CHA-S634 (will only upgrade to DVD/CD changer if I find one for ubder $400 and must be Alpine)
DVD player and VCP either one with TV tuner
Alpine XM radio
Amp/sunwoofer (contemplating)

With the above, you must be wondering, where the hell is he going to hide all in a sport coupe and the answer is pretty simple(post picture after it is completed).???????????

Hope that with all this information, it could assist fellow members in this forum to be "streetwise" with budget in mind but not to compromise the sound quality in our car.

Good luck to all.

Dragon Baccarat System

:p :p

Last edited by dragon; 07-14-2003 at 11:25 PM.
Old 07-17-2003, 01:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32
watz this of your gambling system?? does it work? i don't even get how it works man...
but i am interested in winnin some $$!!
Old 07-17-2003, 10:22 AM

CLK 350 convertible
Originally posted by SiLvaC32
watz this of your gambling system?? does it work? i don't even get how it works man...
but i am interested in winnin some $$!!
It is not appropriate for me to discuss this matters. If you have keen interest in this matter, simply visit my site and email me with all your questions. Do not know where to cast a vote for you when I am at your site.

Dragon Baccarat System
Old 07-22-2003, 01:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
S, GL, Escalade ESV, my shoes
Here's the latest mod for my car. The unit have built-in FM modulator, so the car stereo also handles audio for TV/VCR/DVD.

Link To More Pictures of My Car TV/DVD/VCR Installation
Attached Thumbnails Complete "renovation" of OEM stereo system-mercedes6.jpg  
Old 07-22-2003, 08:52 AM

CLK 350 convertible
Fantastic!

This is what I call "streetwise", everything planned with budget on our mind and I am sure "store owners" will hate us to the guts. I have spent about one hour yesterday laying the power/remote power and RCA wire to the back of my car for subwoofer/amps. I hated myself when it is completed with all wires "camouflaged" because I forgot to lay the front speakers wire from the amp to the front. That means "double jeopardy" as I have to goes back the same route I came from the front for the power wires etc. Sometimes, we just make ourself stupid for nothing!
Now I am waitng for myDVD/VCR with TV tuner and I am all set for the next "self installation" yapping the power from cigarette lighter. Tapping power for single source is fine logically and I was trying to figure where can I tap another power source for the VCR? Any help will be appreciated. Maybe the next time when I am in San Francisco I am going to "beefed up" my 97 E320 with all the similar stuff I have here. Thanks for sharing your experiences and the picture with us. Keep it up, fellow members!

Dragon Baccarat System
Old 08-09-2003, 10:21 PM

CLK 350 convertible
Lizard $ Snake crawled to the trunk!

Here is the sequence of steps taken to run all these snake to the back.
1. Take the battery cover from your engine compartment
there are three clips to content with and watch your little finger thogh its easy.

2. Dismantle the drainage hose from where it is attached or just pull it backward towards the battery

3. Locate a square rubber with few "slugs" sticking out, the rubber has wires sticking out so it is very easy to identify and this piece of rubber act as an seperation of the firewall which we run our "lizard" into it.

4. Once you locate this square rubber, take a small plier, grib or grab the "slug" that is protruding and yank it out. It is about 2 inches.

5. Once the "slug" is out, stick the 8 gauge power wire into the "slug hole" and probably 1-1/2 feet will be fine.

6. Go to the passenger foot-well, look on your right(while your head is in the foot-well), locate a hole (I am sure you guys can do it), the screw is inside, unscrew it and yank the plastic cover out and the only obstacle is the two yellow clip which I have attached these image and it is fairly simple too. Just use a broad screw driver to pust it away from the side of the body.

7. Once the side cover is out, get a hanger that is made of soft alum. make a tiny hook. use a torch light to locate where is the power wire by looking up, once located, get the self made hook to pull it down and bingo your power wire is inside your car.

After your wire is inside the car, run it to the back of your car and please do not run together with the RCA wire as it will causes some interferences.

Once your power wire is ready at the trunk, go mix & match with an amp (refund in USA is too good), with the amp ready, you got to tap the ground(negative), I have located one at the left side of the trunk which houses the "First Aid" package. It is across the fise box. A #10 spanner is fine.

This is the first image.

Last edited by dragon; 08-09-2003 at 10:24 PM.
Old 08-09-2003, 10:33 PM

CLK 350 convertible
here is the first image of battery coverDragon Baccarat System
Attached Images
File Type: bmp
batcover.bmp (109.0 KB, 138 views)
Old 08-09-2003, 10:36 PM

CLK 350 convertible
This is the image that shows the sqare rubber that seperate the firewall with the wire sticking in
Attached Images
firewallgr.bmp (112.9 KB, 150 views)
Old 08-09-2003, 10:39 PM

CLK 350 convertible
image that shows the power wire being pull down from the firewall
Attached Images
frmfirewall.bmp (113.6 KB, 155 views)
Old 08-10-2003, 12:22 AM

CLK 350 convertible
This is the yellow clip that we have to push the plastic cover away from it.
Attached Thumbnails Complete "renovation" of OEM stereo system-1ylowclip.jpg  

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Complete "renovation" of OEM stereo system