Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

05 E55 camera/ iPod / Bluetooth options

Old 01-01-2012, 12:30 PM

Received 107 Likes on 70 Posts
2016 AMG GTS
05 E55 camera/ iPod / Bluetooth options

Hi guys, just for an 05 E55' had an 02 which an alpine Setup with the blackbird gps, didn't like the gps, but iPod & Bluetooth was great.

Looks like adding a camera & Bluetooth to command is $$$ and close to what I'd spend on a new head unit with GPS and Bluetooth/iPod integration. I like the pioneer avic units but not sure about their GPS, Kenwoods units have harming gps but are more $$$.

Any suggestions or proven route other have already taken ?
Old 01-02-2012, 03:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 E63, 2012 QX56, 2014 Jeep Wrangler
Originally Posted by realien
Hi guys, just for an 05 E55' had an 02 which an alpine Setup with the blackbird gps, didn't like the gps, but iPod & Bluetooth was great.

Looks like adding a camera & Bluetooth to command is $$$ and close to what I'd spend on a new head unit with GPS and Bluetooth/iPod integration. I like the pioneer avic units but not sure about their GPS, Kenwoods units have harming gps but are more $$$.

Any suggestions or proven route other have already taken ?
I have a 2004 and would be interested in what you end up doing in yours... I have the OEM NAV but it's terrible. I'm in ATL too.
Old 01-02-2012, 04:18 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
05 CL65 AMG, 07 Ferrari F430, 03 Range Rover HSE
We are based in Atlanta, and you may be interested in some of our new stuff (not even on our site yet as of today (Jan 2,2010). Give us a call.
Old 01-02-2012, 04:58 PM

2016 AMG GTS
Originally Posted by Cartronics
We are based in Atlanta, and you may be interested in some of our new stuff (not even on our site yet as of today (Jan 2,2010). Give us a call.
I'll give you a call, I did checkout your site and I'm sure your stuff is top notch, I just calculated Bluetooth integration + camera was going to run over $1000 :-) which is close to what I'd spend on a new setup to replace the command system ( est around $1500) But I'll def give you guys a call.
Old 01-02-2012, 05:11 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

I will see what I can work out for you

Just so you know, as many callers to our company don't: If you replace the COMAND, you also replace the amp (and should probably replace the speakers, as they won't be able to handle anything over the factory amp), rewire to the amp, and it also disables everything else on the fiber loop, and you loose some instrument cluster functions.
In addition, we do most of the work for the big three MB dealers here in ATL, and all of them refuse to work on a car that has electrical problems (not engine work, etc), if a fiber optic based car has an aftermarket head unit in it. They can no longer run certain diag tests. Some people care about this and some don't. Your calculation does not seem to take any of these parts into account, but maybe you have access to some used items or something. We have done several systems for the "famous athlete" owners that just want to change it for the sake of changing it, and it is a long 1 day or 2 day job and just OUR COST on the parts is more than double your estimate. Just putting it there for informational purposes for you or other readers.
Old 01-02-2012, 05:23 PM

2016 AMG GTS
I will see what I can work out for you

Just so you know, as many callers to our company don't: If you replace the COMAND, you also replace the amp (and should probably replace the speakers, as they won't be able to handle anything over the factory amp), rewire to the amp, and it also disables everything else on the fiber loop, and you loose some instrument cluster functions.
In addition, we do most of the work for the big three MB dealers here in ATL, and all of them refuse to work on a car that has electrical problems (not engine work, etc), if a fiber optic based car has an aftermarket head unit in it. They can no longer run certain diag tests. Some people care about this and some don't. Your calculation does not seem to take any of these parts into account, but maybe you have access to some used items or something. We have done several systems for the "famous athlete" owners that just want to change it for the sake of changing it, and it is a long 1 day or 2 day job and just OUR COST on the parts is more than double your estimate. Just putting it there for informational purposes for you or other readers.
I hear ya, I've run after market low rms through factory amp before. But I would like to retain the factory setup if it's not outrageous to add what I need.
Old 01-03-2012, 12:01 PM

2016 AMG GTS
Should I ask for anyone in particular when I call ?
Old 01-03-2012, 04:05 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Scott would be best
Old 01-16-2012, 01:52 PM

2016 AMG GTS
So I'm pretty torn on this. Cartronics have nice products that integrate with the factory Command (but are expensive), and doesn't actually improve the factory nav without spending more money.

I don't have my car dealer serviced, either I do it, or it goes to my independent mechanic who specializes in mercedes and bmw and does great work, so having "command" is not the most critical thing.

If I do just reverse camera with video in motion and streaming audio (BT) I'll have spent $1400 before labor ( I can install audio but hate running wiring to the trunk for the camera). I could probably get a modern head unit ( kenwood or pioneer) with good nav, bluetooth and add a camera for around $1500 before labor, and then add in an AMP... so all in all probably $2k -$2.5 for either setup with labor and obviously the latter would have more capablities, essientially what I did in my '02 E55 ( had alpine setup, but hated the nav and poor upgrade support from Alpine).

ah.. decisions, decisions...

Last edited by realien; 01-16-2012 at 01:57 PM. Reason: clarity