Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Connecting A/V to COMAND

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-23-2003, 08:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 C230 Kompressor
Question Connecting A/V to COMAND

I would like to connect a DVD player to a european COMAND. The Megacomm adapter seems like the most economical way to go (I don't care about getting TV reception) as they run anywhere from $200-$400 rather than closer to $1000 or so.

As I understand things, the Megacomm adapter is an RGB adapter. This only carries a video signal, correct? If so, how is audio connected from the DVD player (or any other A/V source) to the COMAND?

I have also seen on German eBay a SCART -> COMAND adapter. To the best of my knowledge we don't use anything with the SCART connection in the US. However, I believe SCART carries BOTH audio and video (as it has something like 20 pins I can't imagine why it wouldn't carry both). This connector is a bit cheaper (more towards $200 than $400 for the Megacomm) but "cheap" is relative...I want what works, even if it costs a bit more (please don't respond with "just get the MB Tuner if you just want it to work..." I would like to avoid that unless absolutely necessary!).

Now, finally, once the A/V source is connected (assuming it is connected with the Megacomm adapter) will any interlocks need to be removed/disabled for the video to be displayed while in motion? I know with the Mercedes Tuner there are a few interlocks that need to be disabled, but I have read that this is not necessary when the Megacomm adapter is used. Does anyone know for sure?

Thanks for your help everyone!
Old 06-24-2003, 03:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
Re: Connecting A/V to COMAND

Originally posted by davidasman
I would like to connect a DVD player to a european COMAND. The Megacomm adapter seems like the most economical way to go (I don't care about getting TV reception) as they run anywhere from $200-$400 rather than closer to $1000 or so.

As I understand things, the Megacomm adapter is an RGB adapter. This only carries a video signal, correct? If so, how is audio connected from the DVD player (or any other A/V source) to the COMAND?

I have also seen on German eBay a SCART -> COMAND adapter. To the best of my knowledge we don't use anything with the SCART connection in the US. However, I believe SCART carries BOTH audio and video (as it has something like 20 pins I can't imagine why it wouldn't carry both). This connector is a bit cheaper (more towards $200 than $400 for the Megacomm) but "cheap" is relative...I want what works, even if it costs a bit more (please don't respond with "just get the MB Tuner if you just want it to work..." I would like to avoid that unless absolutely necessary!).

Now, finally, once the A/V source is connected (assuming it is connected with the Megacomm adapter) will any interlocks need to be removed/disabled for the video to be displayed while in motion? I know with the Mercedes Tuner there are a few interlocks that need to be disabled, but I have read that this is not necessary when the Megacomm adapter is used. Does anyone know for sure?

Thanks for your help everyone!
From what I can tell, the only Megacomm interface is called the "multimedia A/V interface"... that would imply audio and video. It is called "RGB" adapter probably because it only supports the RGB connectors on the SCART interface.

The other interfaces I've see that use SCART also only support RGB.

Also, you are correct in your assumption that SCART carries audio information as well.

-s-
Old 06-24-2003, 04:41 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
some slow@$$diesels
The megacomm adapter is not the same part as what is called the RGB connector...that RGB connector is made by a different company.

There is a guy named Yonwook in the 203 section who has a unused megacomm multimedia adapter for sale (I installed the MB TV tuner in his car after he didn't get the multimedia adapter to work)...might want to ask him for a price (he is in the NY area).

greetingz,
Old 06-24-2003, 11:26 AM

2002 C320
Thanks Steve!

Hi, davidasman,
My name is Yonwook and I got an A/V Adapter for sale. Please email me at yra76@hotmail.com if you are interested in.
Thanks!
Old 06-24-2003, 03:14 PM

2002 C230 Kompressor
Originally posted by MBenzNL
There is a guy named Yonwook in the 203 section who has a unused megacomm multimedia adapter for sale (I installed the MB TV tuner in his car after he didn't get the multimedia adapter to work)...might want to ask him for a price (he is in the NY area).
Yonwook -

Is the adapter faulty? Why couldn't you get it to work? If it IS working and you simply decided you'd rather have the tuner, please email me with a price including shipping to Atlanta, GA 30350.

Thanks,

David