Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Alpine Sub Questions (Ohms)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-26-2003 | 02:01 PM
Almost a Member!

Alpine Sub Questions (Ohms)

I'm looking into installing a sub for my w209 and I'd appreciate some help.

1. Alpine has a 2ohm and 4 ohm version of their 12" Type-R subs. What's the difference and which do I want?

2. I don't want to wake the neighbors, just fill the lower range the Bose system is lacking. Will a single 12" powered by a 500 watt amp be enough?
Old 06-27-2003 | 01:23 AM

CLK, ML, GL
First make sure the amp you are using is 2 ohm stable. If it is, it is usually rated about twice as much power. That is the difference. 2 ohm gives you twice as much power as 4 ohm out of the same amp. Any other questions give us a call.

Audio Designs
Terrence or Robert
305-852-7405
Old 06-27-2003 | 01:52 PM
Almost a Member!

Thanks for the response. I'm looking at Alpine's MRD-M500 (500W x 1 at 2ohm) amp and an Alpine Type-R 1221 D 12" sub. Do you think a single 12" is enough (not looking to shake the car with massive bass)? Also, should I be looking at the Alpine subwoofer box or something else? Thanks.
Old 06-27-2003 | 04:07 PM

CLK, ML, GL
I am not a big fan of alpine. Just a very popular brand. OZ are the best speakers out there. There components are incredible. For subs I would look at Memphis Mojo Series or the OZ Matrix Series. Also the new Soundstream & Concept subs sound really tight. As far as amps, right now my favorites are Soundstream & Memphis M Series. We are making a show car out of my 04 CLK 500 when I recieve it. We are going all OZ Matrix speakers & subs and a Soundstream Davinci amp. If the car is done on time it will be at the CES show in Vegas in January. Whatever sub you get you will probably only want one. Run a dual voice coil sub at 2 ohms with the right size box and you will be happy. Make sure they make you the right size box or it will get to boomy. Make sure you get a musical sub. Any of the above will do even though they all sound different. Good Luck.
Old 06-27-2003 | 05:51 PM
Almost a Member!

rgiorgio,

What do you think of MB Quart speakers and Eclipse amps? Also, what kind of HU do you recommend? I have an Eclipse setup (HU and amps) with MB Quarts all around (including sub) and everything sounds great but wanted your opinion since you really seem to know your stuff. Oh, and I chose Eclipse because their HU's give off 8V.

CLK, ML, GL
Eclipse head units are very good even though they have been having some problems lately. We have one that is grounded out and fried an amp. Their amps are not all that. MB Quart are very good. They can handle a lot of power but don't have much tone. You have to get the Reference series or the Q series. They are very pricey. The OZ Matrix speakers sound better for less money.
I have MB Quart Q series in my 99 CLK. The tweeters are nice. They handle a whole lot of power but don't sound as musical as the OZ. Once you discover OZ Matrix series speakers, you want anything else. There is a lot going on with head units right now. Do you want features, video, sound quality or looks. I have a Nakamichi CD 700 in my CLK. The best sounding head unit I have ever heard. But it is AM/FM/CD/CD Changer. No video & not satellite ready. I also have a Clarion 935 in my Yukon. A lot of features but not enough voltage. Not to happy with it. Looking at changing for something else. Since I am a dealer for audio/video equipment I am getting a lot of stuff thrown at me. Let you when I decide on a new head unit. Right now I have the Nakamichi head unit & McIntosh amplifer for sale since I am getting my new CLK 500 shortly. The Clarion is also for sale if anybody is interested.
Old 06-28-2003 | 04:10 PM
Almost a Member!

Originally posted by rgiorgio
Eclipse head units are very good even though they have been having some problems lately. We have one that is grounded out and fried an amp.
Could this be because of Eclipse's 8V?

Originally posted by rgiorgio Once you discover OZ Matrix series speakers, you want anything else.
What do you think of ADS and Focal? I hear they're top notch, too.

Originally posted by rgiorgio I have a Nakamichi CD 700 in my CLK. The best sounding head unit I have ever heard.
How many volts is it and does it sound good without any EQ settings? I'm a purist and like to hear the music as it was recorded so I don't use EQ's. Also, how does it compare to Eclipse in sound quality?

Originally posted by rgiorgio I also have a Clarion 935 in my Yukon. A lot of features but not enough voltage.
How about using a Phoenix Gold line driver? They output up to 8V!

From what I understand from you, Nakamichi HU and OZ Matrix speakers is the way to go. What amps are you using and why? I talk to many "car audio experts" but none of them can tell me why they bought the products they did. And none are able to explain the differences between brands as you do. It's nice to know that you actually know your stuff!

Maybe consider Boston Acoustics, Pro series only. I think they're some of the best mid bass drivers and tweeters out there