Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

ground loop isolator issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 06:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 177 Likes on 147 Posts
me: 2015 SL400 & 2015 ML400; wife: 2022 GLC Coupe kid: 2017 GLC SUV

I installed a ground loop isolator to deal with engine whine coming through my iPod/aux input, which I installed in my console, not the glove box. Naturally, I tucked the GLI away under the passenger side carpet along the console, so it was a PITA to get to it when I started having crackling issues. The connection into the aux in seems fine, but the iPod cable into the GLI is bad, cutting out if you jiggle it. I taped it up and stuffed it back and it worked for a while, but recently I'm getting static and noise, not just when listening to iPod but with every audio source. I dug out the GLI again and it seems to make the static when I have it stuffed against the console, but not when I pull it away, like it's creating interference just being near other wires. Right now I have it outside the carpet and stashed in the little netting in the passenger footwell. It looks just like this one:

Anyone who's ever pulled that carpet down knows there's not a lot of extra space in there, and this makes noise in the one spot it fits. Has anyone found a better quality and/or smaller GLI?
Old 03-10-2012, 02:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
06 C55, 09 E350
No but I can tell you it's probably not just from your installation. I have the aux connection from the factory (glovebox) and I get engine whine. I forgot all about group loop isolators I remember reading up on them many years ago I might give one a try.
Old 03-10-2012, 03:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 E350
I also have the factory aux input in the glovebox, but I have only heard interference when the cable was near my cell phone. Maybe you guys should try a better quality cable? Perhaps one that's shielded may eliminate any noise.
Old 03-12-2012, 02:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 E320 4matic wagon and 2000 E320 sedan

Originally Posted by eddieo45
I installed a ground loop isolator to deal with engine whine coming through my iPod/aux input, which I installed in my console, not the glove box. Naturally, I tucked the GLI away under the passenger side carpet along the console, so it was a PITA to get to it when I started having crackling issues. The connection into the aux in seems fine, but the iPod cable into the GLI is bad, cutting out if you jiggle it. I taped it up and stuffed it back and it worked for a while, but recently I'm getting static and noise, not just when listening to iPod but with every audio source. I dug out the GLI again and it seems to make the static when I have it stuffed against the console, but not when I pull it away, like it's creating interference just being near other wires. Right now I have it outside the carpet and stashed in the little netting in the passenger footwell. It looks just like this one:

Anyone who's ever pulled that carpet down knows there's not a lot of extra space in there, and this makes noise in the one spot it fits. Has anyone found a better quality and/or smaller GLI?
How about this one?
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_127SNI1...se-Filter.html
Old 03-16-2012, 01:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
06 C55, 09 E350
Originally Posted by wit2pz
I also have the factory aux input in the glovebox, but I have only heard interference when the cable was near my cell phone. Maybe you guys should try a better quality cable? Perhaps one that's shielded may eliminate any noise.
I did try a better cable one that was made by griffen and it was about $20 not really sure how good it is, but I looked like it was good quality. I think im going to do a blanket repair and replace the aux cable new cord and ground loop isolator.