Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

C36 with Bose no output from rear speakers!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-13-2003, 09:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
95 C36 AMG, 02 SLK320, 06 Accord V6, 08 BMW 335i
C36 with Bose no output from rear speakers!

I have the original much-maligned BOSE premium system with the OEM Becker radio. I recently noticed that the 4 speakers on the rear deck lid above the trunk are not producing any sound at all. The little bass that the system used to produced had dwindled even further.

The tweeters on the dash, the 2 front door subs and the rear door speakers are all ok, although the rear door speakers seem weak compared to the fronts. I have adjusted the fader and balance controls to no avail.

I took a ride in a friend's late-model Lexus and the superiority of his stock sound system to mine was embarrassing.

Any ideas on how I can address this? Are the rear deck-lid speakers really that weak? I put my ear right againts the speakers and still can't hear anythng from them. I don't want to replace my head unit for cosmetic reasons so perhaps I can replace the power amp with a better one?
Old 07-14-2003, 12:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
Re: C36 with Bose no output from rear speakers!

Originally posted by BongC36
I have the original much-maligned BOSE premium system with the OEM Becker radio. I recently noticed that the 4 speakers on the rear deck lid above the trunk are not producing any sound at all. The little bass that the system used to produced had dwindled even further.

The tweeters on the dash, the 2 front door subs and the rear door speakers are all ok, although the rear door speakers seem weak compared to the fronts. I have adjusted the fader and balance controls to no avail.

I took a ride in a friend's late-model Lexus and the superiority of his stock sound system to mine was embarrassing.

Any ideas on how I can address this? Are the rear deck-lid speakers really that weak? I put my ear right againts the speakers and still can't hear anythng from them. I don't want to replace my head unit for cosmetic reasons so perhaps I can replace the power amp with a better one?
It sounds like your amplifier is no longer working, for any number of reasons:

1) the passthrough connector behind the headunit may be disconnected, and the head unit is plugged right into the front speakers

2) the amp is malfunctioning, either due to bad fuse, bad wiring, or being broken

and so on...

if you replace the amplifier with a non-Bose amp, you will need to replace the speakers that were originally connected to the amplifier, for proper operation due to differences in speaker impedence. This is fairly involved and can be expensive, but although it is a lot of work, it isn't difficult work for someone who understands the wiring of the system.

Check your amp's operation first before making any major expenditures.

-s-
Old 07-14-2003, 12:08 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i have a bose amp thats only about been use for 6 months. If thats whats wrong email me 714guy@sbcglobal.net if you need it.