Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

W209 CLK radio = crap

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-15-2003, 12:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The CLK uses the same crappy $40 Alpine cassette headunit that is used in the C class. The Bose system is standard in the CLK. Many C class owners have swapped out the Alpine cassette HU for the Becker Audio 10 cd player hu. Most feel they have gotten much better sound from the Audio 10, especially better bass response.

If keeping a stock appearance is important, try the Audio 10. I changed to a COMAND from the Alpine cassette hu, and I feel it is much better. It seems to me to be cleaner, louder and a lot more bass.
Old 08-15-2003, 02:07 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK55, Audi A6, VW New Beetle
dr chill:
do you own a clk55? no
have you listened to the crappy clk55 radio? no
do you know what's wrong with the clk55 radio? no
have you done any installation for a clk55? no
have u got any pictures of your RECENT work? no
do u know how many speakers and the speaker sizes on the clk55? no

if you know nothing about the clk55 system, how can you tell people that the headunit is the least important part of the equation? and you called yourself an expert?? if you are really an audio expert, how come you don't even know how to add a sub/amp to the W211 HK system, you should have FULL knowledge of how to figured it out yourself? please shut up and go and buy a clk55 and we'll talk! i am sorry, i think you are talking absolute bs in here. i used to sell lemonade in my frontyard when i was 10, maybe i should call myself a lemonade expert too!
Old 08-15-2003, 02:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts
Porcelain Bus
Woo, if you read carefully, you'll see I admit to not knowing anything about the CLK audio system. I only made generalizations about a generic car system. Regarding my car, I was asking for suggestions about the best way to incorporate an amp and subs to my system not having fully examined how everything is joined since I've only had my car a few days. Yes, things are different nowadays with fiber optics and all and I admit to not knowing the best way to do everything, but your attacks on my credibility are too annoying to ignore. The statement that seems to have aroused your ire is that I believe that the head unit (especially if it is not powering the speakers) is less important than the amp and speakers when upgrading one's system assuming the head unit is not a complete ****box. I still can't understand why this is objectionable but I understand you and Harris feel otherwise. That's your opinion. Statements like 100 out of 100 audio experts agree is what caused me to take offense to that position, along with you questioning my validity, honesty, and integrity.

I congratulate a guy your age and your ability to afford a CLK55. I wish I was that fortunate but I was forced to play around with old Firebirds, Vettes, and 442's. Unfortunately that car doesn't make you any less of a child. Maybe you should go back to selling lemonade; you might end up like that lucky little girl in FL who wound up on Late Night with Leno just for selling lemonade in front of her house.

Is anyone enjoying this thread, because it has ceased to entertain me?

Last edited by Dr Chill; 08-15-2003 at 02:24 PM.
Old 08-15-2003, 03:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Stiggs has already made himself VERY clear that he thinks the CLK radio is piece of junk. Why do you keep saying "....assuming your radio is not a complete ****box, then you should keep the HU etc etc......". You walk into a doctor's office, you tell him that you dont feel well, then he says: "assuming you are healthy, you should do more exercise, and send you away". Hey, I want some help, some treatment, and the doctor is telling you something else, what is that???".

Stiggs doesnt like his HU, its a fact, and everyone confirmed in here that the stock radio is a piece of shi*t. He asked for advice, and I tried to help out. Then you jumped in CLAIMING yourself to be an expert, and yet, still couldnt give any real suggestions after 27 replies. All you are trying to tell everybody in here is how good you WERE 15 years ago. I can say I know a lot about car audio, but I would never call myself an expert. I am still learning new stuff everyday. Honestly, the way you portrait yourself as an "audio expert" really bugs me. Why dont you give a list of items that Stiggs should buy for his car so that everybody can see how "expert" you are? A guy installing Radio Shack HU for all of his life can also claim himself as an expert. Personally, I do not question a bit about your honesty, integrity or validity because I dont care. I find it funny that you are calling yourself an expert, its not what you said you are, its whether people give you the recognition. I just want to help out a fellow enthusiast.

Stiggs, here is a list of what I would suggest you to get, assuming you have the budget to do some high quality upgrade:

1) Any top model Alpine or Pioneer Premier HU
2) Focal 165W 2-way separate speakers in the front
3) Focal 165CV coaxial at the rear (optional, you dont really have to put speakers in the rear because the CLK cabin is pretty small, but if you want the image to shift more to the center instead of the front, then you should)
4) Focal SB27V2 enclosure subwoofer (no need to build a sub-box, it comes with build-in sub-box already)
5) Audison LRx 5.600 5-channel amplifier

I am pretty sure you will find this setup more than satisfying!

Good luck!!
Old 08-15-2003, 07:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2000 CLK430
im gonna have to give a huge thumbs up to Focal

my father is running Focal Utopia components in his CL600, and it just blows me away
Old 08-15-2003, 10:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1951 Caterpiller D6
Originally posted by Dr Chill

Is anyone enjoying this thread, because it has ceased to entertain me?

Hey Chill, what kind of Vette? I still have a '66 L79 convertable collecting dust in my dad's garage. I hope my 11 year old takes some interest in it soon.
Old 08-16-2003, 12:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts
Porcelain Bus
Originally posted by Harris
Stiggs has already made himself VERY clear that he thinks the CLK radio is piece of junk. Why do you keep saying "....assuming your radio is not a complete ****box, then you should keep the HU etc etc......". You walk into a doctor's office, you tell him that you dont feel well, then he says: "assuming you are healthy, you should do more exercise, and send you away". Hey, I want some help, some treatment, and the doctor is telling you something else, what is that???".

Stiggs doesnt like his HU, its a fact, and everyone confirmed in here that the stock radio is a piece of shi*t. He asked for advice, and I tried to help out. Then you jumped in CLAIMING yourself to be an expert, and yet, still couldnt give any real suggestions after 27 replies. All you are trying to tell everybody in here is how good you WERE 15 years ago. I can say I know a lot about car audio, but I would never call myself an expert. I am still learning new stuff everyday. Honestly, the way you portrait yourself as an "audio expert" really bugs me. Why dont you give a list of items that Stiggs should buy for his car so that everybody can see how "expert" you are? A guy installing Radio Shack HU for all of his life can also claim himself as an expert. Personally, I do not question a bit about your honesty, integrity or validity because I dont care. I find it funny that you are calling yourself an expert, its not what you said you are, its whether people give you the recognition. I just want to help out a fellow enthusiast.

Several points. I never suggested Stiggs' head unit was worth keeping, only that 100 out of 100 audio experts do not think that the HU is the most important part of a system. I have said in several posts on this thread my thoughts pertain to a generic system in car X.

OK, I will no longer consider myself an audio expert. I just know a lot about home audio and something about car audio. Recognition by others plays a very little role in my life. I'm a perfectionist and hold myself to a high standard and code of ethics. That's how I can look myself in the mirror every day.

As far as recommendations to Stiggs, I hear Clarion and Audiovox are making some really good high powered head units thesedays that would be great to base a system around.

Harris, I do have to give you credit. You are a valuable member of this forum and provide a lot of useful input. I may have been too harsh when I called you uncool, but your sense of humor is definitely lacking.

E55AMG99, I sold my '69 L46 Vette 4 spd roadster a few years ago after I picked up the 442. My wife and daughter hate the 442 because it's too loud for them. My 7 year old son wants it to be his first car when he gets his license.

I must go now and will leave this thread for good, so Harris and mswoo may have the last word if they so desire.
Old 08-18-2003, 06:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2003 CLK55
Originally posted by Dr Chill
You're right Harris, I don't know any of your former schoolmates who would substantiate you actually carried a pocket protector. I'm sure however that anyone reading this thread would agree that you have no sense of humor.

Hey Stiggsy, where are you when I need you?

(Harris, what I mean here is where is Stiggs' usual comic relief, not for substantiation that I have a clue about something).

All I have to say is...I'm glad Dr Chill cleared up what he was talking about after he said he needed me!!! Whew!! I was getting nervous for my butt!!!:p

Sorry Dr Chill....looks like you got yourself in some doo doo.....never meant for that to happen.

Ok Ok..Look everyone...I appreciate all your comments and feedback. Thank You. But , please lets not fight over my crappy radio. Right now I have the bass cranked all the way up, the treble is about half way up, and the speakers are set to 60% rear- 40% front. so far....not that bad of an improvement...if you can believe it. Granted its not as good as my ML430 system (check other posts for those details) but I think I could live with it this way.....or until I save enough money for the mods.

I think this thread has run its course....what do you guys think??
Old 08-24-2003, 02:29 AM

2004 CLK 320 and 2004 Porsche Cayenne
W209 CLK Radio

I just finished replacing the radio with a Comand from Steve and the sound from the Comand is far better than the radio. I also installed Sirius satellite radio through the Comand and it sounds outstanding. The Comand has additional equalizing settings.
Old 08-24-2003, 08:04 PM

2000 CLK 430
BOSE Speakers

My favorite line about Bose speakers:

"No Highs, No Lows, they must be Bose"
Old 08-25-2003, 04:19 PM

2004 CLK 320
Are you guys talking about the CD changer as well, or are we just talking about the dash unit?
Old 08-25-2003, 05:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2003 CLK55
the CD changer is fine...its the headunit and speakers that suck.
Old 08-26-2003, 10:43 AM

2004 CLK 320
If you are using the changer, the head unit is just the controller for the changer. I think that the changer has its own built in D/A converter.
Old 02-13-2008, 09:55 PM

clk 500 2003
Originally Posted by E55AMG99
I think they call it their "AntiTheft" radio system. It is so bad, no one wants to steal it.
lol i agree