Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Changing Temperature Display to Farenheit

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-26-2002, 09:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Changing Temperature Display to Farenheit

I have a RHD ML which displays the outside temperature in Centigrade

Has anyone had it changed to Farenheit. My dealer said if he changes the display it will change the mile and trip gauge to kilometres.

I don't think he is right.. I am sure US MLs have Farenheit temperature display with miles on the mileometer. Is a British mile the same as a US mile.. I know a US gallon is not the same as a UK gallon.

Whew... its so confusing

Last edited by Londonboy; 02-26-2002 at 09:44 AM.
Old 02-26-2002, 09:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If the UK mile is 5280 feet, and I think it is, then it is the same as a US mile.
Old 02-26-2002, 11:06 AM

Temperature Display/Gauge

Yes there is 5280 feet in a mile in the UK and US, as I thought.... but I think its your gas gallon that is different...

Anyway, even if the US and UK gas gallon is different.. I can't see why that should effect the temperature and distance display if its changed to show Farenheit instead of Centigrade....
Old 02-26-2002, 11:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Londboy, I agree that it is strange that switching from Celsius to Farenheit would also change the odometer and tripmeter from miles to kilometers. First, the temperature units and the odometer units should be switchable independent of each other. Second, it is very weird that British and metric units are mixed that way. It is logical to me that if the temp is shown as Celsius, then distance should be shown as kilometers, and if the temp is farenheit the distance should be miles.

One Imperial gallon equals 1.201 US gallons.

Last edited by Lynn; 02-26-2002 at 11:45 AM.
Old 02-26-2002, 11:56 AM

Temp Display

Lynn.. nothing surprises me about UK Mercedes.. or in fact other UK cars built for LHD and modified for the UK.

We seem to always get a European model converted to RHD with things left off, or with problems other Mercedes don't get.. like gear shift decalls facing the wrong way, dodgy linkages to pedals.. hood release on the wrong side... and naff trailer electrics.. I could go on

The only thing we seem to get right is the warranty.. which is now a 4 years parts and labour... which with the ML is needed.

On mainland Europe they seem to prefer Celcius, its only us Brits who prefer Farenheit. We have already been forced to go over to Litres for gas/petrol, so I guess it won't be long before we have to use Kilometres instead of miles.

I can still order a beer as a pint..... for now anyway

Steve (Londonboy)

Last edited by Londonboy; 02-26-2002 at 11:58 AM.
Old 03-01-2002, 03:52 AM

On the C230K (which is the only modern Mercedes I can account for), the miles/km selection is independant of the F/C selection. So you can select km/h for speed and km display on the tripmeter and degrees F for the engine and outside temperature.

Tripmeter / speed display are linked to one set of units, as are engine temp and outside temp.

Personally, I like degrees F because it gives you a higher resolution than decrees C. That's 180 steps between freezing and boiling instead of 100, almost double the resolution.

Cryptnotic