Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Disable speed-dependent volume?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 02:16 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2014 ML350 Bluetec
Disable speed-dependent volume?

I have a 2010 GLK with the standard Audio 20 system (upgraded to Infinity Kappa 62.9i speakers). I notice that the car has speed-dependent volume control. It seems to be operating into the digital domain, because the frequency responses is clipped at lower volumes, then "brightens" as speed increases. Not good.

Can this feature be disabled? It's not mentioned in the manual. Possibly in the engineering menu?

Cheers

pg
Old 10-10-2012, 01:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 E63 AMG (Dubai), 2009 BMW X5 4.8i Sport (PA)
From what I have read, you cannot turn this feature off. My Indy MB shop was also not able to find any settings to change in STAR to disable it. I think the only way to successfully do it would be to disable/remove the ambient noise microphone. There are some posts on here about people doing that. You would have to find the specifics for it's location inside your car but it shouldn't be too difficult. It should be somewhere near your dash or rear view mirror.
Old 10-10-2012, 11:13 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2014 ML350 Bluetec
Thanks Jay. I spoke with a guy at MBUSA, he said the same thing. It's in the radio's DNA. Also, it is linked to the actual speed (on non-HK cars), and has discrete steps at 20, 35 and 50 mph as best I can tell. Its really non-linear as far as frequency response goes. Alas, I'll live...

pg
Old 10-13-2012, 07:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
300ce
.......I know for sure that on earlier cars what MBUSA said is not true. You can definitely disable it via star. Perhaps this is different for 2010 cars and newer.

Ted