Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

SAT Radio issue related to Rear window defroster

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-14-2012, 12:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 E350 4Matic
SAT Radio issue related to Rear window defroster

I have recently purchased a 2007 E350 4Matic and have issues trying to get the SAT radio to connect. I have twice spent sometime with Sirius resetting the system but to no success. It continues to display "Acquiring Signal" indefinitely. I now discovered that when switching on the Rear Window defroster at the same time listening to FM radio, i lose the signal, as if the antenna has been disconnected. As if the electrical grid in the glass is creating a magnetic field rendering the antenna useless. Would appreciate any input...thanks
Old 01-22-2013, 03:53 PM

2007 E350 4Matic
Update...

I eventually took the car to the local MB dealership specifically for the SAT radio issue and was told the rear window defroster issue was unrelated. It appears the FM antenna is built into the top section of the rear window glass above the actual defroster element. I was told that leaving the defroster constantly on for about 45 minutes "may" fuse and fix the fault...alternatively the resolution was to replace the glass at a cost of $960.00. They also were unable to determine if the SAT radio issue was the module itself ($962.00) or the antenna ($515.00)...As they did not have either the SAT radio module or SAT antenna available..So have to return for further testing with a new antenna and/or module. I may try and source an alternative supply for the module if need be. As an FYI the module is located in the right side panel of the trunk near the tail light assembly.
Old 01-22-2013, 05:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
beater with a heater
just grab an aftemarket sat antenna and plug it in and check it... I am sure some car audio shop near you has a tech that has a drawer full of them. sure it is a different connection but it will still fit
Old 05-08-2013, 02:53 PM

2007 E350 4Matic
Thank you for your suggestion...I returned to MB dealership when they had the module and antenna in stock. They connected a new module and the Sat radio worked. Thereafter i sourced one on EBay for $250...plugged it in and works perfectly. Grateful it was not the antenna as i would then have been obliged to have dealership install it as the headliner needs to be removed.