Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

New Head Unit Works Well!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-09-2003, 10:38 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up New Head Unit Works Well!

There has been a lot of discussion on this board about a new head unit working with the factory Bose speakers. I can tell you that circuit city did it for me they installed a Panasonic Sirius Sat./Radio which works well. Just ask for the VW wiring harness and your good to go. There is inly one side effect; when you have the volume on the lowest setting you can hear a little shhhhhhhhhh. (sorry about that I did not want to call it static because its so clean sounding) I believe the side effect effects the sound very little and still encountered an increase in overall sound quality. FYI Circuit City can bypass all the bose with a new Alpine amp and Infinity speakers for about a grand
Old 08-09-2003, 02:39 PM

2001 CLK430 Cab.
Circuit City down here in Florida won't touch a MB installation because they cause too many problems with the electrical system.

I've gotten really conflicting advice about installing a CD changer in my 2001 CLK430 Cab. Some say the electrical system is too complicated for anything but a MB CD player but I want a CD/ Mp3 player (no changer). I don't even have the BOSE system; just the regular MB radio/cassette player.

I don't think I have ever had as difficult a problem with a car before - and I have owned a lot of them. SOme say install one and there will be no problem; others advise future electrical disaster if I do. Don't know who to believe.
Old 08-09-2003, 03:14 PM
Almost a Member!

Message Addendum***

I forgot to post that the installation was done on my 96 C280! I apologise for the confusion. I would not touch the system of my 03 clk430 Cab with a ten foot pole.
Old 08-09-2003, 08:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
Originally posted by CLK 2001 Cab

I've gotten really conflicting advice about installing a CD changer in my 2001 CLK430 Cab. Some say the electrical system is too complicated for anything but a MB CD player but I want a CD/ Mp3 player (no changer). I don't even have the BOSE system; just the regular MB radio/cassette player.
Wait... you say you have gotten conflicting advice about installing a CD changer... but then you say you want a CD/MP3 player (no changer).

Which is it?

If you don't have a CD changer already, adding a CD changer is a very simple affair. You have to use an MB CD changer. Nothing about the electrical system is too complicated, it's just about compatibility and being able to use the controls on the radio/steering wheel.

If you want to add an in-dash CD-player with MP3 capability, you're looking at about the easiest Mercedes installation there is. Buy the deck you want; buy an ISO DIN adapter (usually sold as an Audi/VW wiring harness), wire your new radio to the harness you buy, then unplug your radio, and plug the new one in (it will need an antenna adapter too).

-s-
Old 08-20-2003, 11:35 AM

2001 CLK430 Cab.
Sorry for the confusion. To start over - I have a 2001 CLK430 CAB without the BOSE system; just the std. MB radio/cassette player.
I want to replace it with an aftermarket CD/Mp3 player, single disc. While I can't see why it is such a problem, radio shops, MB mechanics, and others advise against it because it would create electronics problems.
Old 08-24-2003, 01:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
Sorry for the confusion. To start over - I have a 2001 CLK430 CAB without the BOSE system; just the std. MB radio/cassette player.
I want to replace it with an aftermarket CD/Mp3 player, single disc. While I can't see why it is such a problem, radio shops, MB mechanics, and others advise against it because it would create electronics problems.
Don, the last paragraph of my previous response to you should address your situation... it is very simple!

-s-
Old 08-25-2003, 07:47 AM

2000 CLK 320
I'm almost definite, at least with the coupes, that though you may have the "std. MB radio/cassette player," that is still the BOSE system.

Scorchie is correct in his suggestion. Buy the headunit you want, use the Radio Keys to pull out the stock radio, use the VW harness and the antenna adaptor he mentioned, and if there isn't any incompatibility with the Bose Amplifier (I'm thinking there won't be any because that seems to be what I've been reading from the board) you should be good to go. The only thing you'll lose is the steering wheel controls for your radio. Good luck.