Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Update original V60 Phone to GSM

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-09-2003 | 09:20 PM

2003 E55 AMG
Question Update original V60 Phone to GSM

Hi folks,

Does anyone know if after having the original V60 phone from MB USA there is a way to use/update your system to a GSM phone?

Does the already installed equipment help at all? I just picked-up a 2003 E55 AMG with the integrated phone, but I use a GSM phone (shared minutes with multiple phones contract) and would not want to go back to TDMA (since sharing time is not an option).

Thanks.

RS
Old 08-09-2003 | 09:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
Re: Update original V60 Phone to GSM

Originally posted by 03_E55
Hi folks,

Does anyone know if after having the original V60 phone from MB USA there is a way to use/update your system to a GSM phone?

Does the already installed equipment help at all? I just picked-up a 2003 E55 AMG with the integrated phone, but I use a GSM phone (shared minutes with multiple phones contract) and would not want to go back to TDMA (since sharing time is not an option).

Thanks.

RS
Yes, you can update it by replacing the PSE, cradle, and clip (and phone of course, Nokia 6310i).

-s-
Old 08-10-2003 | 03:47 PM

2003 E55 AMG
Hi scorchie,

Thanks for the quick reply. I noticed that I will need an updated PSE a new craddle, phone clip, and of course a new phone.
3 Questions:
1.- How difficult is the installation of the PSE, craddle, etc? Looks like my current phone craddle has the phone cable attached to the craddle and dissapears under the storage compartment (middle sotorage compartment top part). Is it as simple as finding the origin of the cable and unattaching it and re-attaching the new one?
2.- How about the PSE any idea of where it maybe located in the new E classes (W211?)
3.- Where would you recommed to buy the parts from?

Thanks again for all the help. If this sounds like something rather easy to do (I am not much of a technical hads-on type of guy), I am just going to buy the parts and try it. (I will post the results).

I imagine that the voice control mechanism (which I added through the dealer) will continue to work.
Old 08-11-2003 | 10:29 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

some slow@$$diesels
3.- Where would you recommed to buy the parts from?
NOT from german ebay...these W211 Nokia PSEs get offered a lot but the ones for sale are (almost?) all the older versions with outdated software which lead to failure without a single doubt...The W211 PSEs are on their third software version by now already...

greetingz,
Old 08-12-2003 | 06:20 PM

2003 E55 AMG
I stopped at my dealer today (un-cooperative *******s) and asked them about the PSE for the GSM phone. They were a litte too quick to say "No way" you can not get it to work on a US spec car. They mentioned that they did not have the software programs to make the phone work with the car. I do not mind a negative answer, just they way it is being said. Make me feel that they do not want to deal with it, and therefore it is easier to say no. You will think they would want to help their customers who have just spent 86K on a car (including 2K worth of outdated technology). Ohh... that sweet engine.

I'll be calling a German dealer tomorrow or the day after (via a German friend - I found out native communication makes things easier).

It will be interesting to see what a German dealer/service department says regarding the requirements. I know Germans are very stratight forward at saying either 'ye' or 'ne' when asked if something would work (regardless of the $$ cost/involved)

Botom line, if they say that I need to re-program he car electronics, I am pretty much done. If they say that all I need to do is connect new equipment (PSE and phone), I am then ordering the equipment (via a German local friend).
Old 08-12-2003 | 06:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
The US dealers will say that it cannot be done, because they have little interest in figuring it out, and they are told by MBUSA that it cannot be done.

The German dealer may tell you it can be done, or they might not.

In any case, it can be done, despite what the dealers say. You just need to get the parts (which you will not get from a US dealer).

Then, YES, the stuff needs to be programmed into the car. But the US dealers do have the equipment to do this. They can pretend it's a US-spec Motorola phone, and it SHOULD work... or they can dig a little deeper into their StarDiagnosis software and program it correctly for the Nokia phone... the software that US dealers get has most (if not all) of the accessories that are available anywhere in the world. The system I've used had options such as Parktronic, COMAND, and more, for W202... Parktronic was never available on W202 in the US, and as far as I know, COMAND was never available at all on W202 in the US.

-s-
Old 08-12-2003 | 06:42 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

some slow@$$diesels
It will be interesting to see what a German dealer/service department says regarding the requirements. I know Germans are very stratight forward at saying either 'ye' or 'ne' when asked if something would work (regardless of the $$ cost/involved)
believe me when I say that european dealers haven't got a single clue as where it concerns US spec cars...don't forget that the standard US cars are equipped completely different as european cars are...

greetingz,