Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Subwoofer placement options in a CLK Cab

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-10-2013, 11:34 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Currently: 2019 E450 AWD, Previous: 2002 CLK55 Cab
Subwoofer placement options in a CLK Cab

My goal was to upgrade the HU, keep the Bose system that is already in the car and add a subwoofer to round out the overall sound. Well I have the new HU,
Alpine CDE-HD138BT

and it is a noticeable upgrade over stock. I was told that this powered sub would fit neatly and cleanly under the one of the front seats.
Not a chance once the installer got his hands on the unit and took a look at my motorized seats.

Sound Ordnance™ B-8PT

While I could have just returned the unit right then I really wanted to make the most out of the new HU while I was on a road trip and figured that I could easily resell this on Ebay once I came up with a more permanent solution. So I had the installer mount it in one of the rear passenger footwells.

CLK cabs do not give you hardly any options for a sub install in the passenger cabin, though if anyone has a solution I am interested in hearing it. In researching other options it seems that a trunk mount is the way to go but with so little trunk space to begin with, especially once the soft top is down and stowed, a sub placement in the trunk against the back of the rear seats or behind the wheel wells seem the only reasonable options. Any ideas would be welcome on placement.

In terms of optimal direction all seem to agree that the subs need to face the rear of the vehicle which seems to cut against the placement aft of the wheel wells. On the other hand, placing the subs on either side of the trunk aft of the wheel wells would allow me to reclaim the space that was occupied by the cd changer, may it rest in peace. Plenty of space behind the passenger side rear wheel well to place a sub and an amp. Thoughts or experience on the effect of either placement option on sound quality would be welcome.

Lastly, after working through lots of threads here it seems that a couple of 10 inch subs, powered by a 250 w amp seems a reasonable solution which should allow me to hear the contribution of the subs to an overall balanced system. Does this sound reasonable given my placement options, optimal sound direction, etc.? Thanks.

BTW, while I will obviously make the rounds and pick a set of subs that subjectively sound good to me any suggestions on subs that you have used in an in the trunk application would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.