Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

CLK 320 Subwoofer Blown

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 07:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLK 320
Angry CLK 320 Subwoofer Blown

Hey all

Was wondering if I could get any recommendations for a replacement subwoofer for my 2005 clk 320. I had an aftermarket navigation unit installed and supposedly an amp, but kept the factory Harman Kardon (i believe) speakers - which before this instillation had BEAUTIFUL sound.

It was never the same after this work was done, and I recently took the car back to the shop which installed the unit to complain. They told me my subwoofer was blown, and of course that I actually needed all new speakers as my factory speakers were supposedly crap anyway - which I think is bs, as it was the best sound system I have ever had in a car in regard to audio quality. I blame them and I'm thinking they may have screwed something up - I swear the subwoofer never really worked when I got the car back - but I doubt I'll be able to prove any wrong doing on their part.

Anyway - when I took it back in the guy said that the subwoofer that is incased in the compartment under/between the two back seats is almost impossible to replace, as he would have to rip up the seats to get to it, and that he could maybe put something in the trunk - which is already small enough.

Has anyone here replaced their subwoofer in their clk 320? And with what, and how? Any ideas on cost?

Do you think he is correct in not trying to replace/find someone who can replace the subwoofer in the same compartment as the original factory unit?

Any input is appreciated!
Old 02-18-2013, 10:43 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Currently: 2019 E450 AWD, Previous: 2002 CLK55 Cab
Originally Posted by Adarah
Hey all

Was wondering if I could get any recommendations for a replacement subwoofer for my 2005 clk 320. I had an aftermarket navigation unit installed and supposedly an amp, but kept the factory Harman Kardon (i believe) speakers - which before this instillation had BEAUTIFUL sound.

It was never the same after this work was done, and I recently took the car back to the shop which installed the unit to complain. They told me my subwoofer was blown, and of course that I actually needed all new speakers as my factory speakers were supposedly crap anyway - which I think is bs, as it was the best sound system I have ever had in a car in regard to audio quality. I blame them and I'm thinking they may have screwed something up - I swear the subwoofer never really worked when I got the car back - but I doubt I'll be able to prove any wrong doing on their part.

Anyway - when I took it back in the guy said that the subwoofer that is incased in the compartment under/between the two back seats is almost impossible to replace, as he would have to rip up the seats to get to it, and that he could maybe put something in the trunk - which is already small enough.

Has anyone here replaced their subwoofer in their clk 320? And with what, and how? Any ideas on cost?

Do you think he is correct in not trying to replace/find someone who can replace the subwoofer in the same compartment as the original factory unit?

Any input is appreciated!
While I can't speak to the trouble you're having with the audio shop I do have a thought about the subwoofer access issue. I am looking to replace the stock sub in my 2002 CLK55 Cab. So I also wanted to get access to it first in order to measure it and then to see if there was space to mount an amp near it as well. As near as I can tell it is in the same place, mounted behind and between the rear seats, as yours is. While it is too cold right now for me to get deep into this, yesterday I did pull everything out of the trunk, roll up the cab cover and pull the trunk lining off of the seat back area. What I found is a steel cover that extends several inches, possibly as much as 10-12 inches from the seat back into the trunk. The steel cover is vented and contoured to accept the folded soft top on top of it. The cover is held in place with 10-15 brass bolts. As I said it was too cold for me to get my tools out and unbolt the cover but I could easily see that once that cover is off you should have access to the speaker as well as other electronics and possibly a vacuum pump etc. You may want to take a look to see if yours matches this description. You should not have to tear into the rear seats to replace the subwoofer, only clear out the trunk and pull that cover. I won't be able to confirm until it gets a little warmer out and can get the cover off.
Old 02-18-2013, 10:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLK 320
Hey
Thanks a lot for the great info - I felt as though it wasn't logical that you would totally have to rip up the back seats to get to it.

I'm thinking actually to not even have the original shop do this subwoofer replacement - I'm feeling strongly they don't know what they are doing with - at least with MB.

I'll check out that back cover and as soon as I learn something update here.