Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

W204 Jap imports Comand Restarting itself

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-22-2013, 07:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C200 W204
W204 Jap imports Comand Restarting itself

Hi guys,

I am new to the forum and also searched the info I need, however I need some help in my situation.

I live in New Zealand and here is my story. I imported a Jap version of 2008 C200 W204. I managed to get into the engineering mode and changed the region to Europe and I managed to get the radio frequency working (88-108FM instead of 77-90FM)

It worked fine but the main menu can not display FM or AM (I can see Disc or musicregistry) so I was playing around with the language setting (Not in the engineering mode), basically I don't even know which language I switched to as the words are not there. It was displaying English before and I should just leave the system as is.

After I changed the language setting, the whole system keeps on restarting itself. Sometimes it can get into the menu for 5s but can't make any changes. Plugged into the Star diagnostic and the guy said, it is not even showing the part number or anything. I suspected the unit is dead?

I was told the Jap units are unique and can not really update with Australia/NZ maps.

My main question is, can a Jap imported car uses Euro or US headunit? Also to make NTG4.5 work with current system, is it going to be a hassle?

I have seen a few headunit from Germany on ebay but unsure if they are reliable or not.

Thank you for reading my post, look forward to anyone who can give me some suggestion.
Old 07-26-2013, 12:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
beater with a heater
it should work, the only difference is the region. keep it in english next time
Old 02-04-2015, 05:41 PM

2007 c250
whereabout are you in new zealand?

if wellington, get in touch with "capital auto electrics" along Kaiwharawhara road.
otherwise, contact auto gravity.co.nz.

i have a c250 2007 japan import, have my command converted to aux/nz with latest navigation, and radio frequencies.

cheers.
Old 02-06-2015, 02:44 PM

W204
Hi guys

I Hav a similar Jap import and after changing region to ECE it keeps restarting every 25sec and doesn't allow me to get into engineering mode. Any ideas how I can reset to factory
Old 12-28-2017, 12:30 AM

2008 C300 / 2000 ML320 / 2002 C200K
Sorry to revive an old thread, but I would like to ask benc250 whether or not your system may reset after a service check? As I've heard that can be the case. Would that be the same for your unit?
Old 07-12-2018, 05:29 AM

2008 C250 w204
Had the same issue. After a service. Turns out because I changed my jap unit to ece it went into auto reboot mode because it was trying to find the navi but gets confused. I pulled the hdd out from the bottom of the head unit. Turned it back on and reverted it back to Japan settings. Turned it off, plug the hdd back in and boom back in action.
Old 03-09-2020, 02:38 PM

2014 C63 507
My japanese imported 2014 c63 507

Originally Posted by Brook Lester
Had the same issue. After a service. Turns out because I changed my jap unit to ece it went into auto reboot mode because it was trying to find the navi but gets confused. I pulled the hdd out from the bottom of the head unit. Turned it back on and reverted it back to Japan settings. Turned it off, plug the hdd back in and boom back in action.
i did the ece step on my japanese imported c63 507, it worked the first time but when i open the audio button on the LCD now, the FM radio icon has disappeared along with the bluetooth connection and aux. however, you can still click on the aux and bluetooth connectivity but it seems the name has disappeared. Any idea how this can be solved? One more thing to highlight is that i am unable to access the engineering mode using the normal procedure..how can i access it otherwise? Please help!
Old 09-28-2020, 12:47 PM

C63 AMG
Originally Posted by samhar
i did the ece step on my japanese imported c63 507, it worked the first time but when i open the audio button on the LCD now, the FM radio icon has disappeared along with the bluetooth connection and aux. however, you can still click on the aux and bluetooth connectivity but it seems the name has disappeared. Any idea how this can be solved? One more thing to highlight is that i am unable to access the engineering mode using the normal procedure..how can i access it otherwise? Please help!
I have the same in my c63 2011 from japan. After changing to ECE, I have access to EU frequencies on the radio, but only to the first change of source. Then it locks up and can't be changed back to radio. It only helps to re-enter Engineering mode and switch back to the Japanese range and then back to ECE.