Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Need help with iPhone 5, Bluetooth & W211 COMAND prewired for phone

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-02-2013, 07:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 E500
Need help with iPhone 5, Bluetooth & W211 COMAND prewired for phone

I just purchased a 2005 Mercedes E500 that is pre-wired for a telephone and has the connector mounted in the small upper console but no puck. The sales rep installed a used OEM Mercedes (blue & silver) puck and was able to get his iPhone 4 to connect but my iPhone 5 showed "no service" and would not make calls. I want to buy the correct bluetooth component(s) which will work with my iPhone 5. Additionally, I would like to be able to stream music from it to the COMAND stereo but don't know if this is possible. What product should I buy to accomplish this? Also, is there a way I can use the DVD player used for NAVIGATION to watch movie DVD's?

Thank you!

Tom

Last edited by thomaslcrawford; 08-02-2013 at 07:59 PM. Reason: Needed to add info
Old 08-03-2013, 11:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
Check the part number of the puck. The older blue/silver puck, ending in 5839, has older firmware. The newer blue/silver puck, ending in 5878, and the black puck, ending in 6131, have newer firmware (as far as I know, the latter two have the same firmware). Be sure you are using the proper pairing procedure with your iPhone before investing in a different puck. A lot of owners are able to pair an iPhone 5 with the latter two pucks, and yours is the first report I have seen of problems pairing the older one with an iPhone at all.

For music streaming, see the latter posts at http://www.benzworld.org/forums/audi...hancement.html for some options.

The answer on using the DVD player for movies, for North American cars, is no. You can play back audio tracks from a DVD (relay great sound) - but not the video. A company named Nav-TV may have some options that will require you to send the HU in for physical modification, and may require an external DVD player - but that's about it, and I don't know if they are still doing it. If you search the web for the threads discussing COMAND "unlock codes" don't get excited. For DVD video in North American cars, they are a blind alley, and you'll just waste your time.