Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Antenna amp lead 2010 GL

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-11-2013, 12:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 S550
Antenna amp lead 2010 GL

Racking my brains here, and cannot find any help. I even paid for startekinfo for the day, but that is pretty tough to use. I need to find the lead that powers the antenna amplifier as I have used the factory antenna. I have a 2010 GL450. Someone had to run into this.......Please help!
Old 10-14-2013, 10:35 AM

2007 S550
Anyone? Someone had to run into this with a 2010 Gl before.......How did you get the power to the rear antenna amps, and did your headsets still work? I am thinking maybe those antenna amps may have something to do with my wireless headphone not working.
Old 11-11-2013, 02:41 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
W204 C300 2010
Hi desant89 - Did you ever figure out which lead powered your antenna amp? I am not familiar with the GL antenna amp, but in one of your other posts you show a picture of the connector, was the connector behind your radio or in the rear tailgate door?

The reason why I ask, is that I have a '06 S-Class W220, the antenna amplifier is behind the headliner above the rear window, I have aftermarket radio and currently I have an add-on antenna because I do not know which wire activates the antenna amp. For my car, all of the functions between the stock radio/comand unit are done via the fiber optic MOST cable, there are only 3 wires and the MOST cable behind my factory radio.

For your setup, you may have to probe each wire one by one with a volt meter turning the radio on/off until you find the "turn-on" wire. But worstcase, this may not work either as the amp may just come on when the ignition is on.
Old 11-12-2013, 12:25 PM

2007 S550
Originally Posted by rob_fed
Hi desant89 - Did you ever figure out which lead powered your antenna amp? I am not familiar with the GL antenna amp, but in one of your other posts you show a picture of the connector, was the connector behind your radio or in the rear tailgate door?

The reason why I ask, is that I have a '06 S-Class W220, the antenna amplifier is behind the headliner above the rear window, I have aftermarket radio and currently I have an add-on antenna because I do not know which wire activates the antenna amp. For my car, all of the functions between the stock radio/comand unit are done via the fiber optic MOST cable, there are only 3 wires and the MOST cable behind my factory radio.

For your setup, you may have to probe each wire one by one with a volt meter turning the radio on/off until you find the "turn-on" wire. But worst case, this may not work either as the amp may just come on when the ignition is on.
That was the harness behind the radio. My antenna is in the rear roof. That pic was taken by my installer. Factory radio is already out and home so not sure about putting that back in to test wires.

I am honestly in total shock that we cannot find a solid answer as to which wire it is. I did read about some other MB vehicles where they powered the black wire to then power the amp. I just thought it would be simple to find someone that knows which wire it is in all of our vehicles.
Old 11-12-2013, 10:11 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
W204 C300 2010
I feel your pain as some things are not as common as you might think. I did find this .pdf file for a 2004 ML. You may be able to find something common between your GL.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
2004-2.PDF (45.5 KB, 123 views)
Old 11-13-2013, 09:55 AM

2007 S550
Originally Posted by rob_fed
I feel your pain as some things are not as common as you might think. I did find this .pdf file for a 2004 ML. You may be able to find something common between your GL.
I understand with it not being common, but a GL is not that uncommon of a vehicle. I am shocked more people have not worked on them. And not only that, I am more surprised that MB will not help me out. The answers I am getting form a service standpoint will make me hesitant to buy again. I say this after owning 4 of them, and two currently.

Thanks for that document though. I will pass it on to my installer to see if it is similar.