Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

COMAND vs ??? (anything better)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-13-2003, 01:11 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'02 BMW M3 convertible
COMAND vs ??? (anything better)

I am just getting used to COMAND Navigation system on new CLK, but just compared to friend's Nav system in his Accura, the MB system sortof sucks.
Is there an aftermarket or some other CD or system that can improve the COMAND ??
Thanks for input.
Old 11-13-2003, 06:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1986 560SEL, 97 BMW 740iL
I definately like the way my Alpine system works. Very similiar to the Command. Mute music when calls are detected...etc. The navigation shows all the streets in USA and is DVD based. The flip out screen is 7". Think Alpine made the Acura's system. Not sure.
Old 11-13-2003, 06:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Tesla Model S
Alpine's alternative is much better than the COMAND if you're looking for a DVD based Nav and a nice quality picture screen. The advantages of COMAND are better integration into the OEM electronics, steering wheel controls, and the OEM look (including not having a swing-out monitor that blocks other controls when it's in use). You basically have to decide which features are more important to you. If you want better screen and nav quality, then by all means go with the Alpine system. If you want OEM look and functionality then COMAND is the only way to go. :0)
Old 11-13-2003, 06:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1986 560SEL, 97 BMW 740iL
The only issue of blocking the control is the climate control. Since I have already set it to the comfort level and don't have to set it again. It's not causing any problem. The upper switches are still reachable but I don't use them that often. The only time the screen flip out is when I need it for navigation or the kids want to watch DVD.
Old 11-13-2003, 08:12 PM

2004 CLK 320 and 2004 Porsche Cayenne
Command or???

There is another alternative. I have the Comand and TV tuner from Steve in my CLK and love it. The TV tuner has two sets ov audio and video inputs and if you want you can hook up an Alpine DVD NAV or other brand and view it through the Comand screen, but maintaining the clean integrated look. By the way, the AV inputs Video I and II are switched from the Comand in TV mode.