Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Subwoofer installed with custom enclosure

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-10-2014, 10:08 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2013 GLK 350 4Matic
I had my system on the 2013 GLK350 with Audio 20 upgraded a bit, including a fiberglass enclosure much like the one for sale in Chicago. The sub is a JL Audio 10w3v3, and the Alpine PDX M6 amp (600 watts) is behind the enclosure out of sight. The box does need to be redone, so I am taking it in for it to be reshaped. The bottom edge rests on the floor, so I cannot lift the spare tire door, and I cannot open the trim piece that covers the jack and tire tools. He will shave off the bottom inch and patch it so I can do these things. The amp is connected with a simple PAC line out converter, tapped into the front speakers so I can fade to the front.

The front speakers are the Infinity 60.9 components that have been well reviewed in here, but I am going to replace them with JL Audio C2's because these tweeters are bright and harsh to my ears. I want silk tweeters. The amp I am using is the Infinity KTP-445U at 45 watts per channel. Iwanted to have it bridged but the installers said the overall impedance was showing 3 and it was causing the amp to clip and sound harsh, so they put it back in 4 channel mode. It gets the speakers plenty loud. The plan is to remove the shallow Infinity 6032s I put in the rear doors and replace them with the 60.9 woofers from the front, then add the remaining two channels at 45 watts apiece

Subwoofer installed with custom enclosure-forumrunner_20140210_220647.png

Subwoofer installed with custom enclosure-forumrunner_20140210_220701.png

to the rears. This will keep the treble down and I can fade forward to get proper imaging and leave the rears for fill. Stinger Roadkill was used on the doors and behind the subwoofer enclosure. I had the installer do it so I don't have photos of the process, just the one of the sub (sorry for the poor lighting).

Edit: The enclosure was done this way to minimize cutting. The trim piece that was there before was taken out, and no cuts have been made, so I can remove the box and everything will look completely stock for trade-in. The 12 volt outlet was relocated to the other side of the vehicle, behind the access panel. Everything is great except the bottom part of the enclosure, which I hope to have done next week.

Last edited by sethro1980; 02-11-2014 at 09:46 AM.
Old 02-17-2014, 10:28 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
W204
Beautiful install. Nice, and clean. It looks good.
Old 02-17-2014, 11:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
beater with a heater
looks good!