Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Retrofit reversing camera with comand online

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-24-2014, 07:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
12 ML350 BT, 57 w211 E CLass estate, 59 CLC 280 Sport
Retrofit reversing camera with comand online

Hi, recently fitted genuine mb camera and retrofit loom to my 2012 ML350. The loom connects the the canbus, pre fuse box in battery compartment and the double green video connector on the back of the comand unit. The camera input is fitted to the rightside of the connector viewing from the front of the comand unit. Power is confirmed at the camera end when ignition on.
Have been trying without success, to enable the camera using the comand engineering mode. I have found the menu page, which has 4 reversing camera options, none of which bring the camera to life. Am I missing something? Does something else need to be enabled on the canbus or MOST system. A signal from the gearbox perhaps? Any insight gratefully received ....

Last edited by phill993; 04-24-2014 at 07:21 PM. Reason: more detail
Old 04-26-2014, 12:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W212
"The camera input is fitted to the rightside of the connector viewing from the front of the comand unit." =>camera input is the green fakra (right hand side ) if you look from the back of the comand unit ... which is the grren connector close to the quad lock

Last edited by kman2k; 04-27-2014 at 12:18 PM.
Old 04-26-2014, 03:27 AM

Originally Posted by kman2k
"The camera input is fitted to the rightside of the connector viewing from the front of the comand unit." => camera input is the green fakra (right hand side) if you look from the back of the comand unit ... which is the grren connector close to the quad lock
Hi, Thanks for the response. The green connector on my unit has the capacity for two coaxial video inputs, the right side looking from the back was already occupied by (what I think is) the media interface video connection. Had to disassemble both connectors to combine with rev cam video in the left hand side of the connector looking from the back of the unit. This appeared to be what was suggested by the mb retrofit instructions. should these connections should be reversed? Does the comand unit sense whether or not the video input has a signal attached and only switch to it if so? The reason I ask is the display does absolutely nothing when reverse is selected, no blank screen or flashes which I would expected if missing video was the only issue. I have tried all 4 camera options in the comand engineering mode with no result, is there something else that needs to be set on the comand?

My car is currently in the spray shop so will have to wait a few days before more experimentation. Would be grateful for your thoughts on the points above.

Last edited by phill993; 04-26-2014 at 04:04 AM. Reason: submitted inadvertently before the post was complete
Old 04-27-2014, 11:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
beater with a heater
set, exit, turn vehicle off, lock for 2 minutes. come back and toss in reverse. regardless if you dont have the right connector you should still get a black screen
Old 04-27-2014, 12:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W212
Set the reverse cam to : SVRC ... Then exit the engineering. Lock the door for 5 mins. Then turn on the engine put gear to R => the sreen should change to reverse screen (even without the camera signal)

=> look from the back of comand, 2 green fakra => the camera input is on the right side.
Old 04-28-2014, 04:51 AM

Thanks for the replies. Will try the 'switch off and lock for 5 mins' procedure as suggested once the car is back from the spray shop.

As it looks as if I have currently got the camera video in the wrong input (left side of double connector looking from the rear) will the 'fakra' plug allow me to remove the inner connectors easily? I seem to remember it was just a matter of carefully releasing the clip and prying up a plastic locking piece.

For my sanity, what is the input cable that was in the right side of the double connector from stock, I assumed it was the media interface input as the only other video source in the car is the speed assist camera, located in the windscreen behind the rear view mirror (I don't think is ever available to display on the comand) Should I move this to the left side or remove it completely? If moved to the left will it still be available in the comand media interface mode?

Will update again in a few days once the car is back with me.

Thanks again.
Old 06-26-2014, 05:18 AM

Reversing Camera update

Originally Posted by phill993
Thanks for the replies. Will try the 'switch off and lock for 5 mins' procedure as suggested once the car is back from the spray shop.

As it looks as if I have currently got the camera video in the wrong input (left side of double connector looking from the rear) will the 'fakra' plug allow me to remove the inner connectors easily? I seem to remember it was just a matter of carefully releasing the clip and prying up a plastic locking piece.

For my sanity, what is the input cable that was in the right side of the double connector from stock, I assumed it was the media interface input as the only other video source in the car is the speed assist camera, located in the windscreen behind the rear view mirror (I don't think is ever available to display on the comand) Should I move this to the left side or remove it completely? If moved to the left will it still be available in the comand media interface mode?

Will update again in a few days once the car is back with me.

Thanks again.
Hi, sorry for the delay in updating took longer to spray than I thought! Good news is that the reversing camera now works after using the 5 minute lock and delay process. Thanks again for the excellent advice from the forum.