Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

iPod vs. thumb or other micro hard drive

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-03-2014, 05:13 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
2018 AMG E63s
iPod vs. thumb or other micro hard drive

Hi folks - just purchased a 2014 C63 which I love, and it has the iPod connector which is what I've used past vehicles connected to my 160GB iPod. Nowadays, of course, you can buy 128 or 256GB thumb drives, and micro hard drives (1TB) that would easily fit in the center console and connect via USB.

My question is this - is the COMAND iPod integration software different and would my music browsing/listening experience be different if I switched over to a thumb/hard drive? The solid state drive options are now getting so much cheaper and smaller that I'd like to go this route if the browsing experience was the same or better than iPod.

Plus the iPod cable has a really poor connection with the iPod for some reason too (anyone else have this issue?).

Thanks, Jon
Old 05-03-2014, 09:09 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet
Can't be about money since you own a Benz You can't beat an iPod for music integration, managing music and portability. Stay with the iPod and get MB to fix your connector!
Old 05-04-2014, 04:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 E550, 2008 SL55 AMG
I've used both an iPod and a 256GB thumb drive in my 2011 E class. On the thumb drive my music is in folders based on genre. The only issue I've had with the USB media interface is that it doesn't support playing random tracks within a single folder. That's not a big issue for me but it may be for you.

You don't mention it, but newer iPods use a different connector and there have been reports of issues with third party adapters used to connect the newer iPods to the old style connector. The genuine Apple adapters are said to solve the problem.
Old 05-04-2014, 06:32 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
2018 AMG E63s
Thanks all. I figured the interface might be a bit less friendly if via USB, etc. I am using the old style iPod connector, but the cable that came with my car is super heavy duty, and since I have the iPod and connector tucked into the center console I think it put too much strain on either the end of the connector or the iPod jack. Either way it's super fragile now. I'm certainly happy with the iPod but since I'm nearly maxed out at 160GB I'm running out of space anyway. And I do like my random track sequence! I wonder if they've updated the COMAND interface recently to have better integration with USB? I'll give it a test run on a thumb drive and check it out...