Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Aux port low volume, unbalanced

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-04-2014, 02:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C350
Aux port low volume, unbalanced

2009 C350 with navi/media. Has an aux port in glove box that can take 3.5mm jack.

Connected the 3.5mm jack audio output on my SGS (Android) phone to the merc 3.5mm audio jack. Volume is very low and seemed to come from only the right side of the car. When I checked the sound-balance it was set to center of the car (default). If I shift the balance to the left of the car, the sound completely goes away. If I shift the balance to the right of the car the audio is present but weak. If I turn the volume up there is a significant hum.

Any help appreciated. Thanks in advance
Old 07-04-2014, 04:58 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet
Make sure you are using a stereo mini plug to the car aux input. Some plugs are not 3.5mm but a slightly different size so the contacts don't line up. Try pulling the plug slightly out on the car or phone side or make sure it is pushed all the way in. Or try another patch cable to be sure.Let us know how this works.
Old 07-04-2014, 06:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C350
Tried jiggling the pin/cable going into the MB aux. In one of the positions the sound did come from the left speaker ! However when I released my finger on the pin, the problem reappeared. So I thought it may be a bad pin/cable and tried another. Same problem :-( So I think it may be a problem with the MB 3.5mm jack itself.

Any suggestions on how to fix this problem ? Thanks
Old 08-04-2014, 08:08 AM

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
2000 ML320, 2005 E320 CDI
You can pull the jack and check the soldering of the wires to the back. Be forewarned its a PITA to get it out of there. It can be done though, I did mine before. It sounds as though something is stuck in the plug pushing it back out. If you seat the plug completely the issue should go away. I get the same problem when I haven't seated it completely.