Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Command system fail

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-09-2014, 05:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 SL500
Command system fail

2005 500SL. Command (navigation/audio) system failing. Gives a blue screen with a Merdcedes Star that says
"Flash file system damaged. Will be formatted now. Please don't switch off."

Eventually it sorts itself out, but then the next time I start the car, it starts over again with this screen. I have tried disconnecting both batteries in the specified manner and also pulled and reset every fuse associated with the system. So far no help.

Has anyone else encountered this and what eventually fixed it? Thanks.

Last edited by crimbo; 07-09-2014 at 05:24 PM.
Old 07-09-2014, 06:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 316 Likes on 233 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
Originally Posted by crimbo
2005 500SL. Command (navigation/audio) system failing. Gives a blue screen with a Merdcedes Star that says
"Flash file system damaged. Will be formatted now. Please don't switch off."

Eventually it sorts itself out, but then the next time I start the car, it starts over again with this screen. I have tried disconnecting both batteries in the specified manner and also pulled and reset every fuse associated with the system. So far no help.

Has anyone else encountered this and what eventually fixed it? Thanks.
It sounds like there's a memory backup capacitor in the COMAND headunit that's failed. It serves the same purpose as the lithium battery that computer motherboards have to keep the BIOS CMOS charged. It's possible that it's a lithium battery in the COMAND but then you'd hear about them dying much more commonly in older cars, so my guess is that there is a capacitor to keep the memory charged. They fail much more rarely, but do die occasionally.

That said, I don't know where you would get the unit repaired unless you know someone who can spot the right cap and solder in a new one. I'm sure the dealer would just sell you a new headunit.
Old 07-12-2014, 09:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
beater with a heater
replace with a modern unit utilizing the opti-1