Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Adding Dvd Into R230 Tv Command

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-28-2003, 09:14 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL500 (New 2002 Shape)
Adding Dvd Into R230 Tv Command

Does anyone have the knowledge / instructions as I want to get into the TV Command Unit AV1 and AV2 inputs so that DVD an be added into my SL500 R230 2002 Model
Old 12-28-2003, 12:07 PM

2002 C230 Kompressor
do you have a TV tuner currently installed? if you simply connect your DVD player to it's AV1 or AV2 input. if you don't have the tuner, then you need either that or one of the various adapters available. also - in order to watch TV in motion with the tuner you'll need the interlocks disabled by someone with at Star Diag computer. if you have a US COMAND then you'll need the blank button programmed for TV - also with a Star computer.
Old 12-28-2003, 01:54 PM
Almost a Member!

SL500 (New 2002 Shape)
Thank you for your reply. I have a TV Tuner, The problem is that I do not know where the AV1 and AV2 plugs are in the car. Do you know where it is and how to plug it in ?
Old 12-28-2003, 02:48 PM

2013 SL 350, ML 350 BT
Originally posted by PJMusgrave
Thank you for your reply. I have a TV Tuner, The problem is that I do not know where the AV1 and AV2 plugs are in the car. Do you know where it is and how to plug it in ?
The tv tuner on the SL is located behind the driver seat, where the cd changer is, you must to dismount a lot of pieces until find it
Old 12-28-2003, 05:47 PM
Almost a Member!

SL500 (New 2002 Shape)
Thank you Cone for the information. At least I know where to start now. Have you taken your one apart ?
Old 12-28-2003, 06:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
300ce
do you have a TV tuner currently installed? if you simply connect your DVD player to it's AV1 or AV2 input. if you don't have the tuner, then you need either that or one of the various adapters available. also - in order to watch TV in motion with the tuner you'll need the interlocks disabled by someone with at Star Diag computer. if you have a US COMAND then you'll need the blank button programmed for TV - also with a Star computer

..........This is correct, but things are a bit more complicated than that. If you use an MB TV tuner, then you CANNOT disengage the safety interlocks in order to watch Tv when driving more than 10-12mph. This is very important to know. Since 2001, the updated versions of star program were purposely re-worked by MB to prevent TV in motion. You need to get a pre-2001 version of the star program.......but since all MB dealers were required to upgrade their program, finding a pre-2001 Star program is next to impossible.

........Your best bet is to use an Adapter. With an adapter, video in motion is possible, but you loose steering wheel controls. The adapoter is sold under various vendors including....Autosonik in Italy, Soundlinx in the UK, Megacomm and Audiotechnikdietz in Germany.

...........If you must must use an OEM TV tuner, then you can send your comand to Nav-tv. They will reprogram it for you and send it back to you to allow Tv in motion. There is Nav-tv japan, Nav-tv UK and Nav-tv Brooklyn, NY. You can also send it to Megacomm in Germany.

............In the future, there is a place in Atlanta Ga where reprogramming of the Comand to allow OEM Tv in motion will be possible.

Ted
Old 12-28-2003, 06:47 PM
Almost a Member!

SL500 (New 2002 Shape)
Thanks for the postings. I have upgraded my command TV Tuner to Video in Motion using NAV-TV in the UK.

I now want to add DVD into the TV Tuner using a lead to the AV1 and AV2 connections.

All I need is instructions on how to dismantle the car to get to the DVD to plug into the TV tuner.

Regards,
Philip
Old 12-28-2003, 08:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

300ce
.............This part is simple. All you need to do is to find where your Tv tuner is l;ocated. Once you find the Tv tuner, there two RCA type Av inputs. You simply plug your DVD player to one of the two A/V input jacks on the Tv tuner using an RCA plug. If you are located in the UK, Neil Brooks of Braybrooks.co.uk in Hartford is a gentleman and very knowledgeable. I have been very pleased in my dealings with him.

Ted
Old 12-29-2003, 12:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
is there an alternative tv tuner that can be installed with mercedes comand unit? someone from the previous post said something about an adapter??? my main intention is to install a dvd unit, dont care too much about the tv aspect of it. any info will be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-29-2003, 10:31 AM

2002 C230 Kompressor
Originally posted by linuxfoo
is there an alternative tv tuner that can be installed with mercedes comand unit? someone from the previous post said something about an adapter??? my main intention is to install a dvd unit, dont care too much about the tv aspect of it. any info will be greatly appreciated.
yes - there are several different adapters available. probably the most commonly mentioned is the megacomm adapter. you can buy them on german ebay (ebay.de) or at their site megacomm.de . however, their adapters only take a PAL signal. there are also adapters that use a SCART connection (not used in the US) and there are several RGB adapters.

i believe steve (MBenzNL) had been working on an adapter similar to the megacomm that takes an NTSC signal. i think i read that he completed it, but i'm not sure. i believe with any of the adapters (though i'm only certain of the megacomm as that's what i have) the mercedes interlocks that prohibit video in motion are bypassed. with a US COMAND you'll need the blank button programmed to operate the TV function.

this info, as far as i know, is only true for COMAND 2.0 & 2.5 - the newer DVD units won't accept these adapters.
Old 12-29-2003, 01:49 PM

thanks davidasman,
yeah i wasn't aware that steve finished his adapter. i will wait for his reply. thnxs again.
Old 12-29-2003, 05:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

300ce
...............this is the advantage of using a an MB TV tuner. The new tuners are compatible with both PAL and SECAM andhave two AV inputs. Tv reception is poor regardless of the tuner you use. Most people that have the OEM tuner simply use it as a way to get video input to the Comand. regarding the adapters requiring PAL signal: This used to be a mojor problem. However many DVD players these days are PAL/NTSC capable. Examples include Vizualogic and Pyle. Interesting it is the "upmarket" players such as Alpine that are not as flexible. So if you wish to use an adapter, you can do so with a say, a Vizualogic DVd player,

Ted
Old 12-29-2003, 05:38 PM

i would ultimately love to buy a oem tv tuner, however my wallet is thinking otherwise, the price for an oem tuner is way too high. unless you know anyone selling theirs for cheap...
Old 12-29-2003, 06:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

300ce
..............It depends where you get the tuner from. On german ebay you can get an OEM tuner for 350-400Euros. similar price as an AV adapter. However, I think your plan to use the adapter is perfectly fine, especially since there quite a few PAl/NTSC DVd players on the market now.

.................Correction. My previous post should say that the OEM tuner is PAL/SECAM and NTSC capable.

Ted