Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

"Dipped beam" on 2007 W211 facelift MB E320CDI

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-09-2015, 04:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E320CDI
Question "Dipped beam" on 2007 W211 facelift MB E320CDI

Around week ago "Dipped beam, right" message appeared at my W211 E320CDI 2007 facelift model dashboard:

When I stopped the car and checked the light then it indeed was off:

Now yesterday also the right headlight stopped working and both "Dipped beam, right" and "Dipped beam, left" messages appear at the dashboard. If I checked the fault-codes with Torque application over the OBD, then it did not detect anything.

I guess it is highly unlikely that both headlamps fail almost at the same time? Are there any additional diagnostics which I could do to narrow down the cause? Am I correct that my model has bi-xenon headlights?
Old 02-10-2015, 09:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
beater with a heater
could be the level sensor or a faulty light motor
Old 02-11-2015, 05:42 PM

E320CDI
Originally Posted by jbondox
could be the level sensor or a faulty light motor
Thanks for the reply! Is there a way to test this? In addition, am I correct that level sensor ensures that both headlights are at even height? And light motor raises the headlights once the engine is started?
Old 02-11-2015, 10:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 990 Likes on 770 Posts
'99 and '05 E55 AMG
I'm speaking from my experience with my E55 here...

Level sensor on my car is a lever-activated potentiometer with the lever end attached to the rear sway bar on the centerline of the car.

The headlights should have stepper motors that adjust the headlights up and down based upon inputs from the rear-mounted potentiometer.

A diagnostic system will read and test all of the above. You can use the diagnostic system to cycle the headlights from full down to full up and the set them for automatic to work off the level sensor on the rear swaybar.

I have a post ref R&R of the stepper motor assembly over in the W210 section when I re-furb'd the headlights on my W210. Might give you an idea of what to look for. I would assume (not promise) the W211 stepper motor assembly would be similar.
Old 02-12-2015, 04:42 PM

E320CDI
Originally Posted by bbirdwell
A diagnostic system will read and test all of the above. You can use the diagnostic system to cycle the headlights from full down to full up and the set them for automatic to work off the level sensor on the rear swaybar.
Which diagnostics system do you mean? MB Star diagnostic system?
In addition, as I understood from your and jbondox answers, the common part for both lights is the lever-activated potentiometer connected to roll-bar? Each headlight has probably own stepper motor?

Last edited by MB-E320-CDI; 02-12-2015 at 04:46 PM.
Old 02-12-2015, 11:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 990 Likes on 770 Posts
'99 and '05 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by MB-E320-CDI
Which diagnostics system do you mean? MB Star diagnostic system?
In addition, as I understood from your and jbondox answers, the common part for both lights is the lever-activated potentiometer connected to roll-bar? Each headlight has probably own stepper motor?
I'm not familiar with your car and can't make definitive statements about it.

Xentry DAS. The older C3 system is making it into the market place. And the potentiometer is attached to the rear sway bar. Hard to see and harder to get to it. A Xentry DAS allows you to read the sensor output while one of your friends moves the rear bumper up and down. The Xentry DAS is expensive but worth every penny. Plus, you can sell it for what you paid for it.

See the below to get an idea of how I R&R the stepper motors on my W210.
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w210...otor-lens.html

Not that you should need to do so but...for the W211 you have to remove the bumper to remove the headlights. If you go this route, search for my user name in the W211 AMG section concerning PLM Heat Exchanger Install. It'll help you to remove and reinstall the bumper.

You can sign up with the Mercedes EPC (Electronic Parts Catalog), enter your credit card info (but it isn't charged), enter your VIN, and the EPC will read back everything about your car. The Bi-Xenon will have the ballasts for the high-voltage bulbs.

The issue looks like a bad bulb. You just need to remove it (see your owner's manual) and replace with a halogen or Xenon. If Xenon, it's gonna be expensive but buy two and replace them both. If Halogen, less costly but still buy two and replace both.

See this page and click on the photos to see the difference between a halogen and a Xenon bulb.
http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/..._pg1.htm#item0

Hope this helps and please post the results when you resolve the issue so future owners can refer to your thread.

Last edited by bbirdwell; 02-12-2015 at 11:10 PM.