Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Tested SDXC 128GB, MP3/WMA limits

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-14-2015, 10:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 GL450
Thumbs up Tested SDXC 128GB, MP3/WMA limits

Just bought a 2014 GL450. Awesome vehicle, enjoying the ride with the massager seats
Have been lurking the mbworld forums and this is my first post. I have been looking for a solution to cross the 15,000 MP3/WMA file limit imposed on SDXC/USB card. In case anybody is looking for a confirmation before jumping to buy a high capacity SDXC card, here are my observations (I have COMAND NTG4.7):

1. 128GB SDXC works without a glitch. I used the PNY - http://www.pny.com/Elite_Performance_SDXC_Class_10
  2. The exFAT/NTFS format both worked well, exFAT may be better due to ?slightly lower system utilization (not sure).
  3. Each media source (SD or USB) is limited to 15,000 files. I loaded >15,000 files on my SDXC and COMAND ignored all the files beyond 15,000. It seems to drop loading the folders after it hits this limit. Keep reading...
  4. However, if you use another media (USB flash drive) to load up the rest of the files, COMAND will load the rest of the files. I tried a 32GB sandisk cruzer fit USB drive (btw, these are awesome due to the extremely low profile! - http://www.sandisk.com/products/usb/drives/ultra-fit3/). Hence, in effect, the total limit would be 30,000 files. Ofcourse, you can load up a DVD with more mp3, but it is just not convenient or fast like using both the SDXC and USB at the same time.
  5. While the SDXC/USB card is being read by COMAND, if you click on search by Albums, you will see status/number of files already being read and it will keep updating as more files are being read.
  6. Any time, you eject the SDXC/USB flash drive, the Album information gets reloaded (it will take ~6-7 minutes to reload the entire 15,000 in one media; but it remains in memory if you just switch the car off.
  7. COMAND will load up the ID3 tags without any glitch. (Album art, album, genre, artist and track name. No lyrics).
  8. The search function or browse album/genre etc..., as you might know, will search/browse both the SDXC and USB. Very convenient.
Thank you mates for all the awesome guides in the MBworld forums, especially the detailing/cleaning threads!