Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Metra Access ASWC-1 programming issues

Old 03-26-2015, 11:35 PM

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
2005 SL55 AMG
Metra Access ASWC-1 programming issues

Hello, installed a Pioneer AVIC 8000 in my 2005 SL55 today using an OPTI-1 module. All went well until I tried to program the Metra Access ASWC-1. I followed the instructions and pressed the volume "up" button when instructed to but, the volume continues to climb even after I let off the button. The volume down button on the steering wheel does nothing. I can lower the volume by pressing the volume down button on the head unit but, as soon as I let off the volume down button the volume increases again.

I didn't play with it too much tonight as it was getting late. I'll try resetting and programming it again tomorrow.

Anyone have any ideas what the issue may be?

Thanks,
Old 03-27-2015, 12:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
beater with a heater
press and release volume rapidly. relearn the aswc1... takes 2 -3x sometimes

this could help, same procedures after you made connections http://contentdocs.installernet.com/...icle/12534.pdf

where did you grab can wires audio gateway? or ac controls?
Old 03-27-2015, 12:56 AM

2005 SL55 AMG
Originally Posted by jbondox
press and release volume rapidly. relearn the aswc1... takes 2 -3x sometimes

this could help, same procedures after you made connections http://contentdocs.installernet.com/...icle/12534.pdf

where did you grab can wires audio gateway? or ac controls?
Hi jbondox I grabbed my can connections at the audio gateway.

Brown/Red to Pin 2 on ASWC-1 White/Green wire

Brown to Pin 4 on ASWC-1 Green/Orange wire

Thanks,
Old 03-27-2015, 08:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

beater with a heater
3) Connect the Pink wire of the ASWC-1 to brown/red can

4) Connect the Blue/Pink wire of the ASWC-1 to brown can
Old 03-27-2015, 05:25 PM

2005 SL55 AMG
Of course this fixed it!

Thanks AGAIN jbondox!
Old 03-27-2015, 09:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

beater with a heater
NP, glad ya got it.
Old 04-06-2015, 05:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 CL500
ASWC-1 Hookup

Originally Posted by vtvette
Of course this fixed it!

Thanks AGAIN jbondox!

When you hooked up your wiring at the Gateway--did you Tap into the Gateway wiring or cut and solder new connections. Also, where did you draw your power from? Thanks. Terry
Old 04-06-2015, 09:31 PM

2005 SL55 AMG
Originally Posted by hoggertp
When you hooked up your wiring at the Gateway--did you Tap into the Gateway wiring or cut and solder new connections. Also, where did you draw your power from? Thanks. Terry
At the gateway I cut and soldered new connections as I wanted to use heat shrink to protect the joint. With 110,000 miles on my SL55 I'll never go back to installing the original Comand head unit even if I sell the car - it's not a super low mile car and the Pioneer head unit/lack of being 100% original won't hurt the value at this point.

Switched power for the OPTI-1 I drew from the red/yellow wire from the original comand connector. I also grabbed ground here.

For 12+ constant I used the cigarette lighter.
Old 04-07-2015, 12:56 AM

2004 CL500
Thanks for your reply. Was just worried if I did cut the connection at the Gateway to tie in the OPTI-1 I might be affecting another sub system tied into the same CAN-BUS. Interesting that you tied the switched power and ground into the original command connector. I was thinking I would use that for the new HU. May I ask where you connected the switched/constant and ground wires from your head unit. Thanks again. Terry
Old 04-07-2015, 01:19 AM

2005 SL55 AMG
Thanks for your reply. Was just worried if I did cut the connection at the Gateway to tie in the OPTI-1 I might be affecting another sub system tied into the same CAN-BUS. Interesting that you tied the switched power and ground into the original command connector. I was thinking I would use that for the new HU. May I ask where you connected the switched/constant and ground wires from your head unit. Thanks again. Terry
Hi Terry, glad you mentioned the above so I can clarify - I cut each wire near the gateway so I could slide the heat shrink over the wire then I soldered the original wire back together along with the wire from the ASWC-1. I did this as I too was concerned as well about affecting another sub system.

Forward of the shifter below where the heater controls/ash tray are located there is a module mounted to the tunnel. There is a bundle of wires grounded to the chassis through one of the 4 bolts that mounts this module to the tunnel. That is where I pulled ground. For constant 12v I pulled this off the cigarette lighter power wire. For switched power I believe I used the Comand connector for switched power to both the OPTI-1 and the stereo as well. The switched power to the stereo is simply a signal reference to switch on the stereo, it does not actually power the stereo. The +12v constant is the power wire. I was comfortable that the switched from the Comand could power both the OPTI as well as act as the switched signal for the head unit. Two weeks now and no issues at all. If you are not comfortable with this arrangement you could likely find switched power at the fuse box behind the passengers seat or, the fuse/relay box under the hood at the rear left corner of the engine bay.
Old 04-07-2015, 01:20 AM

2004 CL500
Sorry meant ASWC-1 instead of OPTI-1 when I mentioned tying into CANBUS at Gateway. It is late here.
Old 04-07-2015, 01:34 AM

2005 SL55 AMG
Sorry meant ASWC-1 instead of OPTI-1 when I mentioned tying into CANBUS at Gateway. It is late here.
I mounted my ASWC-1 in the storage compartment behind the drivers seat, the compartment containing the factory CD changer. I did this as you need to be able to see the LED light on the module to program it or to troubleshoot any issues you have programming it. I tend to use the storage compartment behind the passengers seat occasionally as it's accessible from the drivers seat. I've never used the compartment behind the drivers seat.

I used the ground lug next to the Gateway to ground the ASWC-1, and IIRC I pulled switched power from the fuse box behind the passengers seat.

EDIT: Note I have an R230 SL55. I see you own a CL500. If that is the car you are installing the new Head Unit in, the wiring and location of some of the components I've mentioned may be different in the CL.

Last edited by vtvette; 04-07-2015 at 01:37 AM.
Old 04-07-2015, 02:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

beater with a heater
switched power is cig lighter constant is behind comand. you listed them in reverse which wouldn't work
Old 04-07-2015, 11:30 PM

2005 SL55 AMG
switched power is cig lighter constant is behind comand. you listed them in reverse which wouldn't work
Thanks for the catch jbondox
Old 06-16-2017, 02:26 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
E55 w211
3) Connect the Pink wire of the ASWC-1 to brown/red can

4) Connect the Blue/Pink wire of the ASWC-1 to brown can

The above worked behind the A/C controls of my W211 E55 as well.
Old 11-30-2020, 06:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
2004 E55
Can you comment on whether the Metra Access ASWC-1 allows aftermarket NAV or TEL information to be displayed on the instrument cluster? I have a AVIN head unit that comes with a cheapy pre-programmed canbus decoder that works fine for reverse, and steering wheel controls, but doesn't do much else. I'd love to have bluetooth track information on the instrument cluster, or navigation information as well.
Old 11-30-2020, 10:41 PM

2004 CL500
From what I know it does not. It will control changing stations (up/down) and changing volume (up/down). I removed the old analog phone from my center counsel and everything for the phone is controlled either by the cell phone itself, voice command or the Kenwood touchscreen head unit. The Nav is controlled through the head unit as well. When I scroll through settings in my original dash display TEL/NAV are blank and have no sub menus. Hope this helps.
Old 11-30-2020, 10:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
2004 E55
From what I know it does not. It will control changing stations (up/down) and changing volume (up/down). I removed the old analog phone from my center counsel and everything for the phone is controlled either by the cell phone itself, voice command or the Kenwood touchscreen head unit. The Nav is controlled through the head unit as well. When I scroll through settings in my original dash display TEL/NAV are blank and have no sub menus. Hope this helps.
That's exactly how my car is with the decoder from AVIN. It would be amazing if there was a decoder or something else that could bring that kind of functionality to the system.
Old 01-04-2021, 05:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W140 S500, W220 S55, R107 450SL, E32 750il, E34 M5, F80 M3
For anyone with an early W215 / C215 that finds their way here via search, I was able to successfully get the ASWC-1 to function with a new Pioneer head unit. The CAN bus on my 2000 CL500 is GREEN and WHITE in pins 15 and 16 in the C2 connector.

Connect WHITE (CAN Lo) to Blue/Pink on ASWC-1 harness
Connect GREEN (CAN Hi) to Pink on ASWC-1 harness

Programming took a couple of tries, but was ultimately successful.

A word of caution, the "popular" pinout diagram for COMAND 2.5 that is prolific all over the internet appears to be incorrect for an early W215. I have no idea what it's really applicable to.