Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

2003 E320 Radio issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-16-2015, 09:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E320
2003 E320 Radio issue

Hi,

I'm a regular on an F-150 forum. I'm having an issue with my wife's car. I have used the search feature but still have some questions and most of the threads I found were a little older.

Her radio sometimes goes to static where reception has not been a problem. Sometimes stations stick.

Today, she couldn't tune anything. Couldn't change stations. Couldn't adjust volume. Couldn't turn the unit off.

I used a VIN Decoder and it states the car has the Audio 50 unit.

I'd like to get a new HU. But, I've read conflicting reports of the Fiber Optics and what is required to swap HU. Based on the ongoing, worsening issue, I'd prefer to upgrade to an HU with Bluetooth capability for music and speaker phone.

I would appreciate any help anyone can provide. If you need more info I will do my best to find out.

Much thanks.
Old 05-02-2015, 11:28 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2018 E300 & 2004 CLK500
you should upgrade your info to show what YEAR and model the veh is.. makes it easier to get a reply specific to your problem.

Year of the veh is important -
the 2003 CLK's have a DB2 fiber optic network for the audio system.
In 2004, it was changed over to a MOST fiber optic network, and components were not backward compatible.
also the 2003 phone (SOS) system was not compatible with the newer cell technology.

My 2003 CLK came with a single din tape unit, no navigation. I was able to find a 2003 Command unit (A203 827 4842) with navigation. Installation included having to install a nav antenna. But then I was left with an 11 yr old radio and outdated navigation maps, and still no bluetooth.

cheapest and easiest upgrade was a Garmin nuvi unit. tucked the power wire (and traffic antenna) wire along the edge of the windshield & down the pass side where I popped off the cover next to the gloveboxm routed a power cable from the lighter to that location and made the plugin connection.

To upgrade the radio capability a bit, I found a Mercedes MP40 mp3 player (again, make sure it's DB2 or MOST compatible). unplug the power and fiber optic from the cd player in the glovebox, and into the MP40, and you can then load a mix of SD cards (I have 4 32 gig cards)... unit tricks the head unit into thinking it's a cd player...doesn't display the metadata, but gives plenty of storage.

Have not found a bluetooth interface that will work with the DB2 network.. it's old and obsolete.

The head unit is not the whole radio, there's amps in the trunk. Think of the HU as a screen for a computer.. the main guts are elsewhere, so you can't just pull the HU and install a Pioneer, JVC etc.. there's no speaker connections in the dash. If you plan on installing a new third party unit with nav and bluetooth, you'll have to run new wiring from the new radio unit to the speakers (and probably have to change the speakers since the resistance is diff from most newer radios), and there's the problem of fitting a curved corner face plate

Skylaw posted a very good primer on how to replace/upgrade head unit.
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/audi...hancement.html

still cheaper than letting the wife loose at the Mercedes Dealer

Last edited by NSKPhila; 05-02-2015 at 11:45 AM.
Old 05-02-2015, 08:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
beater with a heater
Pull the radio out of the dash still connected, turn on a fm station and then unplug the optical cable. If you still have music playing it will be a simple install for an aftermarket radio, if audio goes out, it will be a rewire