Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Map updates for POIs other than MB

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-10-2015, 09:00 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
R320 Bluetec
Map updates for POIs other than MB

I have a new to me 2009 R320 and have noticed a number of missing POIs and streets, including mine. Not surprising considering how new the area I live is in, our house was built in 2007.

I did the research on the map update and am prepared to pay the $250 for the maps from MB, but I am concerned with the amount of data, or lack of data. I have a coworker with a 2010 C-class and when she did the update she said there were still a lot of POIs and streets that are still not in there.

So, is there another way to update POIs and streets within the navigation system on top of the MB updates? I have had a couple of other GPS systems and there are companies other than the manufacturer that supplier map updates.

Perhaps I am spoiled, and I coming to this car from a Prius that had a Pioneer NEX radio in it that used the Apple maps on my iPhone via Apple Carplay. The maps and navigation we have these days on our phones is hard to compete with, they update constantly.

Thanks
Old 05-11-2015, 01:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
beater with a heater
Everything has its drawbacks, i just chalk it up as maintenance and buy the update DVD. maybe someone on here with your type vehicle and current map can check if your neighbor is listed on the new map... but being spoiled referencing a Prius... leaves you open to some jawing

Like I seen you doing the speed limit in the fast lane on the highway... seen a prius tied to a tree with a note "be back soon went to Starbucks"...

Last edited by jbondox; 05-11-2015 at 01:39 AM.
Old 05-11-2015, 01:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
beater with a heater
http://mb.navigation.com/product/Cat...en_US/MBNA/USD
Old 05-11-2015, 08:56 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
R320 Bluetec
I think you missed the point of my comment on being spoiled. The only thing about a Prius over my R320 is the cost of ownership.

What was amazing about my Prius was the aftermarket Pioneer NEX radio with CarPlay, which I kept when I traded it in. The functionality, usability and quality of the interface and content is far superior to the radio in my R320. Especially in terms of updates to maps and POIs in navigation. But, for now at least, I'm happy with the stock radio. My NEX will sit on a shelf until I decide to replace the stock radio or sell the NEX.
I'll be buying the map update and living with the content, or lack of content. I was just wondering if there was a way to supplement the MB content to improve the coverage.