Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Yet another speaker/amp upgrade questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-23-2002, 12:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E200 Kompressor
Question Yet another speaker/amp upgrade questions

I have read many posts commenting on audio upgrades, but cannot find definitive answers I need.

I just bought my first Mercedes, an E200 Kompressor Classic. This is the low end W210.

The stereo it has is a single dash CD player (no cassette), called the Audio 10 without RDS AFAIK. I'm pretty certain I don't have the BOSE upgrade. I have no intention of changing the head unit at all as I want s/wheel controls, phone & display to function as it is.

But I do need much better sound quality!

Having had 4 decent car stereos in the past before, I know enough about certain aspects of it. But, in the past, I've fully upgraded everything (head unit, all wiring, all speakers, amps, subs etc).

What I'm thinking of is to change all speakers (probably to MB Quarts), adding a Bazooka Tube Sub (portability sake), and a couple decent amplifiers.

Questions I have;

1. Some people here believes that changing speakers, adding amps is a waste of time. That I need to change headunit. I really can't see how the head unit is that bad and will make that big a difference. What has been your experience?

2. Exactly what sizes speakers and where are they all located? Would fronts be splits?

3. Where is the amp in my current E200K? Is this easily disconnected, and tapped into with new amp? I don't wish to change wiring. And I assume there is a level output going into this amp?

4. With installation of speakers (in the doors), what are the dangers of doing it myself in regards to airbags? I installed my own previous car stereos, but airbags in doors have never been an issue.

5. Lastly, is there anyone in Western Australia that has had a similar job done by audio shops? I would rather do it myself than to walk into a shop that has not had extensive experience in this beautiful car!