Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Plug and play

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-06-2015, 11:23 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Plug and play

I just purchased a 2008 r350. I am aware of the bluetooth dongle ( about 150 to 250) and the nav also seems to be able to be added for say 400 ( disc, antenna and unit to go above the cd). I also see a spot for the back up camera.

I understand cheaper aftermarket solutions may afford better options, like the itronic bluetooth. I am still concerned about the bt dongle working with my wifes 5s.

Is there a plug and play version of the back up camera? Is the nav just plug and play?

One last question, my new mb only came with one key. I will definitely purchase a new case because this one is a bit worn. I see what looks like blank keys on ebay for 60 to 100. Most seem to be for 2009 or newer. Other then 250 plus at the dealer, are there cheaper options for a key?

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-07-2015, 10:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
beater with a heater
I hate to say it this way but the radio is really 10 years old, and outdated. The maps such, functionality of the radio sucks, features suck. Consider an aftermarket solution for it. You will gain better maps with live traffic info, better bluetooth with more functionality, and depending on the unit ( I believe in only Alpine ) HDMI, USB, DVD, camera input including front - you can even get the object detection warning, video out and in for rear seat entertainment, A better EQ, Pandora control, and updates to the software online if something new comes out.

All the stuff you listed is just tossing band-aids at it, if you are going to keep the vehicle, look into the aftermarket route. Also if you have the HK system, derek@navtv.com should have a solution by the end of the month to facilitate integration on the factory optical line including steering wheel controls. He is a good friend of mine and I talk to him weekly.
Old 06-07-2015, 12:54 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by jbondox
I hate to say it this way but the radio is really 10 years old, and outdated. The maps such, functionality of the radio sucks, features suck. Consider an aftermarket solution for it. You will gain better maps with live traffic info, better bluetooth with more functionality, and depending on the unit ( I believe in only Alpine ) HDMI, USB, DVD, camera input including front - you can even get the object detection warning, video out and in for rear seat entertainment, A better EQ, Pandora control, and updates to the software online if something new comes out.

All the stuff you listed is just tossing band-aids at it, if you are going to keep the vehicle, look into the aftermarket route. Also if you have the HK system, derek@navtv.com should have a solution by the end of the month to facilitate integration on the factory optical line including steering wheel controls. He is a good friend of mine and I talk to him weekly.
I dont disagree, except that best, is not really needed for my wife. And besides how much would aftermarket total unit cost? And as u said full integration is not yet available. I am not saying I wont go that route. I would only NEED the bluetooth today. The nav and back up camera are not needs. A read dvd would be a higher priority and I am sure a new head unit would only enhance the aftermarket options. My question would be whats the cost of bt, nav and stand alone dvd compared to full aftermarket replacement with vehicle integration?

Also the resson I titled this plug and play is because with the mb options it seems less envasive then full swap. If it was going to be for me and not my wife I would use and enjoy all the better and added features. My wife probably wouldnt even notice the difference. For her the bt is important because she commutes 1 hour plus each way and talks both ways. We already have the mp3 port and ipod cable so she can do iheartradio or her own music.

If I could piece the nav together with a more current disc for a few hundred, then I may do that. If the aftermarket stuff is reasonable I would listen.

Btw, ty and I do have the hk. I will contact derek either way.
Old 06-07-2015, 11:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
beater with a heater
Look, I went the route of adding accessories to the factory system, personally i like the integrated stuff that looks and works like factory, but for instance on your vehicle which would be similar to my experience.

I went with the Bluetooth interface from navtv that replicates the factory system regardless if there is a wiring kit in it or not from the factory $499

Then I wanted the iPod interface, simulates the iPod utilizing the 6 disc changer and great sound. could use the steering wheel controls like the above Bluetooth.. $449 installed

Then i wanted Bluetooth streaming, so I axed the 2 above and got a Mobridge unit, $700

Then I wanted DVD video for the kids, myself, my passengers etc... on the front comand, so I bought the video conversion kit from navtv and installed it myself, $400

Then there was the nav system, that piece of crap was only right half the time and had me going the long route. Plus I was used to the faster aftermarket systems.

Now my wife would like the Bluetooth integration, the iPod, and the streaming... but hated the nav. She liked the aftermarket Kenwood we had in her other vehicle.

So I gutted everything installed the Kenwood all is happy. granted it was an e class and there was an optical interface. complete system would run professionally installed around $1400 with steering wheel controls, audio interface, and the nav system.

so about $3400 later... I threw $2k away in band-aids... then there is the cheap crap in-between I tried also that promised the world but was crap. Then there was the stuff I made and designed time... and money

so hopefully you will learn from my mistakes.

BTW Derek will have that interface ready for market soon, they are just working out the final patents.
Old 06-08-2015, 08:06 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by jbondox
Look, I went the route of adding accessories to the factory system, personally i like the integrated stuff that looks and works like factory, but for instance on your vehicle which would be similar to my experience.

I went with the Bluetooth interface from navtv that replicates the factory system regardless if there is a wiring kit in it or not from the factory $499

Then I wanted the iPod interface, simulates the iPod utilizing the 6 disc changer and great sound. could use the steering wheel controls like the above Bluetooth.. $449 installed

Then i wanted Bluetooth streaming, so I axed the 2 above and got a Mobridge unit, $700

Then I wanted DVD video for the kids, myself, my passengers etc... on the front comand, so I bought the video conversion kit from navtv and installed it myself, $400

Then there was the nav system, that piece of crap was only right half the time and had me going the long route. Plus I was used to the faster aftermarket systems.

Now my wife would like the Bluetooth integration, the iPod, and the streaming... but hated the nav. She liked the aftermarket Kenwood we had in her other vehicle.

So I gutted everything installed the Kenwood all is happy. granted it was an e class and there was an optical interface. complete system would run professionally installed around $1400 with steering wheel controls, audio interface, and the nav system.

so about $3400 later... I threw $2k away in band-aids... then there is the cheap crap in-between I tried also that promised the world but was crap. Then there was the stuff I made and designed time... and money

so hopefully you will learn from my mistakes.

BTW Derek will have that interface ready for market soon, they are just working out the final patents.
Like I said, I get it. I have a really good home theater set up in my garage. Clear, crisp house shaking surround sound. My wife complains about it and doesn't understand why the tv speakers aren't enough.

If it was my vehicle I would be saving for the better system. My kids are still to young for me to ever consider watching or even having to listen to what they are. I could let them just use there tablets or buy 2 portable dvd players and bungee cords when needed and they can plug there own headphone in.

My priorities would be Bluetooth, streaming, rear dvd, nav. It has the HK speakers and my wife thinks they sound great. The bluetooth can be had for about 100. For now she can use the aux jack. It would be nice to have bt do both, but not for 350-700. If I was going to spend the money for a rear system I would do so after considering the total cost for full integration into a new head unit with full integration into the mercedes. I would be consulting derek for that.

If I could find the pieces for the nav unit for only a couple hundred, I may consider it. When we go on trips and I drive, I like constant updates and knowing all the distance and travel info. When I use my phone I have to constantly look at my phone. Having the built in nav would afford me easy access to that info. It would also show it to my wife and kids and stop them from asking every 10 minutes. I would purchase for 400. I almost always already have my route planned out and use my phone to make sure I am going the right way. We would not be relying on the mb nav for the correct route especially if its a 2008 map.

I see you have a wealth of knowledge and experience and I agree I do not want to waste money or get the wrong stuff. I assume anything I spend on the mb nav or bt dongle I should be able to recoop some or all if I purchased an aftermarket unit. I would be able to sell those items, even the main head unit. Thanks again for the info.