Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Electrical Malfunction!!!! Help!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-04-2004, 12:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 C230 Kompressor
Electrical Malfunction!!!! Help!!!

Hey everyone...

This is for someone who has good knowledge of the wiring of a C230K....

I recently had a bunch of electronics work done to my car (ps2, subs, ints, amps, cap, etc.)...after getting my car back from the installer I noticed the following malfunction: when I turn the ignition off the wiper moves up slightly each time, the high beams flash, and the left turn signal flashes once. Then, each time I turn the car on, the wiper blades make one full wiping motion, even if they are turned off.

WHATS GOING ON???

I told the installer about this problem and he checked it out for me...of course, he claims that his techs noticed that my car was already doing this. However, I'm pretty observant and wouldn't of missed such an error. He claims that the parts of my car that are malfunctioning have nothing to do with the wiring work he did. He claims that there must have been an error with the viper alarm system I had installed in september...claiming that the alarm has the same wiring as the lights and wipers. This alarm system was done by another installer. so I guess the next move I'm going to make is to go to the alarm installer and tell him about the malfunction and hope that he agrees to fix it. It is just really bothering me though...because i'm pretty sure that this never happened before I had the system work done, but the system installer is a pretty good guy and has been really good about any problems I've addressed him with. Maybe he just doesn't know how to fix it and is playing dumb.

What do you guys think is wrong? Is what he's saying true? (in terms of the system's wiring having nothing to do with the lights and wiper's wiring).

sorry about rambling on and on but i'm really bothered by this whole situation...

HELP ME OUT HERE!!! THANKS!!!
Old 02-05-2004, 02:17 PM

CLK320
A few possabilities:
1) They created a bad ground
2) They nicked a adjacent wire creating an intermitant connection
3) One of the devices added causes a temporary short when shut off
4) One of the devices is introducing EMF/RF noise into your electrical system.
5) They connected to a wire which seems to work, but is the incorrect one.

Try disconnecting the active/powered devices and see if the problem remains. Ideally you would unplug the device(s) from your electrical system, just not remove its fuse.

-Bryan
Old 02-05-2004, 07:20 PM

2002 C230 Kompressor
k...i'll do that...thanks a lot for your help...i really appreciate it!!!
Old 02-06-2004, 09:12 PM

E350 2007
DId they install large capacitors for the amps? If so they hold a large charge and sometimes they cause this effect on electric componets.
Old 02-08-2004, 05:36 PM

2002 C230 Kompressor
Originally posted by jtm311
DId they install large capacitors for the amps? If so they hold a large charge and sometimes they cause this effect on electric componets.
Nothing crazy...just a 1.0 farad LA Cap...thats all
Old 02-17-2004, 11:11 AM

CLK320
How did you make out?
Old 02-17-2004, 11:29 AM

2002 C230 Kompressor
actually I have an appointment at my MB dealer to check it out this friday...hopefully they'll just be nice and try to fix it for me (i doubt it though)...if not, i'm going to the guy that installed my audio system because i'm convinced that he did something wrong in the wiring to cause this.

thanks for the concern though man! I really appreciate it, i'll let you know the result of my visit to the dealer by the end of this week!
Old 02-20-2004, 05:11 PM

2002 C230 Kompressor
Originally posted by bryanm
How did you make out?
Hey...just an update...the car is at the dealership right now. They checked out the wiring and found that the system installer inproperly installed the Playstation 2. The service representative told me that it caused my car's fuse box to blow, creating quite a problem. This resulted in the electrical malfunction that my car was suffering from. He didn't really go into details into how this could happen (maybe one of you could explain it to me), but he said that without a doubt it was from the PS2's wiring. I think it's pretty funny (how the system installer tried to put the blame on the car alarm installer).

I knew it was from his work, because the day I got the car back from him is when these problems began to surface. He kept on denying it, saying that his work had nothing to do with my problem and even told me that his techs noticed this problem BEFORE they worked on my car...thats just a bunch of crap...

I think I would of noticed if it was doing something like that beforehand. I can't wait until I get my car back and show him. I'm pissed now though, because they had to (of course) disconnect the PS2 (i'm assuming not the entire system) which I paid for. The system installer gives a lifetime warranty on the wiring work, so i'm sure he'll reinstall the PS2 for me, but I dont really want to risk him blowing the fuse box out again (because he or his techs obviously messed up the first time).

i dont know what to do...all i know is that I have a huge headache over this and am pretty pissed. if he tries to deny that it is his fault after the mercedes techs told me that without a doubt it's from his work, i think i'm going to go crazy on him...cause i can't deal with liars very well.

The only positive from all of this was that I am very friendly with the mercedes service guy and he knows my family, so he hooked me up with the new fuse box (he says it would of cost of few hundred bucks)...but i'm sure if I have these idiots install the PS2 again there is a good chance that they'll mess it up again...and i doubt he'll hook me up for a second time.

THIS IS CRAP!!!