Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

System Upgrade Advice Needed for W2161

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-17-2015, 01:02 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CL550 W216; S550 W221
System Upgrade Advice Needed for W216

I'm requesting advice from the members here regarding upgrade options for the W216 Cl 550 Harmon Kardon Logic 7 system. I already own Hertz HSK 165 components (used in my previous install in my CLS500). However, the W216 has different size speakers: 8 inch "subwoofer" in doors; 4 inch mids; 1 inch tweets.

Should I replace the 8 inch speakers with the 6.5 inch HSK's? Is it difficult to modify the door for the 6.5 inch speaker? If I did this, I could use my AudioControl LC6 and my Diamond Audio D6 amps. Alternatively, I'm considering installing the Audison Prima 8.9 amp/DSP with the stock speakers and adding my own 10 inch subs in a sealed box. Is this the better option for optimum sound quality? Any opinions/advice is welcome. Thanks!

Rudy

Last edited by rpr2; 10-20-2015 at 03:08 PM. Reason: typo corrected
Old 10-19-2015, 09:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
beater with a heater
there is a 8" prima, Prima is a good amp, but still not as much power as the HK and less channels.
Old 10-20-2015, 03:06 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CL550 W216; S550 W221
Originally Posted by jbondox
there is a 8" prima, Prima is a good amp, but still not as much power as the HK and less channels.
jbondox,
Thanks for your reply. I can't find any reviews of the Prima speakers, so I'm not sure they are any better than the stock HK speakers. Have you heard any Prima speakers? I know they are relatively new to Audison's lineup. If I used the Prima 8.9 I would likely do what Mike5215 did and just leave some speakers to the stock amp while powering the front 6 speakers and the center and powering my subs with an outboard amp from the unpowered channel on the prima. Initially, I may simply add my subs to the stock speakers and see how that sounds before spending a lot of money on install for speakers which may only provide marginal improvement. I'm very interested in the tuning flexibility offered by the Prima 8.9 though. Thoughts?
Old 10-21-2015, 11:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
beater with a heater
Reviews from uneducated people don't mean much, most of them go... "I installed it myself because I watched a YouTube video and it sounds bad" Which never in 13 years of dealing with Audison have i ever had a crappy product, ever. And I have done a lot of Audison/Hertz in my time.