Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

2008 sl550 command/with iPhone

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-09-2015, 10:33 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2008 sl550 command/with iPhone

My '08 has an iPod cable I can't get it to show any recognition (power on) or music either with my old school iPod or my iPhone 6. The car has the factory command system nav/dvd/cd/MP3/multi cd changer. So how the heck do I get this thing to light up, trying for some advice before I pull the whole system.
Thanks
Keith
Old 12-09-2015, 11:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 556 Likes on 473 Posts
2016 C300
It's possible the previous owner installed a MoBridge or similar aftermarket IPod integration kit. Those required the cd changer to be bypassed since IPod control is done via the CD changer controls in COMAND.

If the system won't play CDs from the changer that's a good sign. Try connecting an iPod and then bring up the CD changer control. The iPod controls are broken down into menus and sub menus where the normal disc controls would be. Fairly self explanatory. If the prior owner did that he saved you around $700.

If you can play CDs in the changer, there still may be a Mobridge or similar interface installed behind COMAND that's been disabled. You'll need to pull COMAND (basically six #20 Torx screws) out to see if the Mobridge is tucked behind it. If that's the case I can walk you through bypassing the CD changer and reactivating the module.

There also may be Bluetooth Audio in that unit, so try turning on Bluetooth on the phone and see if it picks up a network called " Mobridge"

http://www.mobridge.us/sites/default/files/doc/MOST%20Installation%20Guide_V10_November2010_ALL%2 0Products_SINGLE.pdf

Last edited by Mike5215; 12-09-2015 at 11:31 PM.
Old 12-12-2015, 12:20 PM

Thanks for your response Mike, the car does have the factory multi disc unit and it plays no problem. As far as I was told by the selling MB dealer the ipod integration is a factory kit (dealer install) next chance I get I will pull the command unit out and see what I find behind it.
Old 12-12-2015, 04:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 556 Likes on 473 Posts
2016 C300
Originally Posted by kbdixon
Thanks for your response Mike, the car does have the factory multi disc unit and it plays no problem. As far as I was told by the selling MB dealer the ipod integration is a factory kit (dealer install) next chance I get I will pull the command unit out and see what I find behind it.
Yeah, there was a dealer installed integration kit available. If your changer is playing the car must have the factory kit. On COMAND there should be a source for Aux or Media. Maybe COMAND just needs to be programmed for the kit.
Old 12-13-2015, 12:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
beater with a heater
should show on the instrument cluster only. go to the audio menus on the cluster
Old 12-13-2015, 12:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

beater with a heater
cable could be bad also...seen it way too many times
Old 12-13-2015, 12:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

beater with a heater
the ipod kit was just an elaborate CANBUS interface using the aux input. It was not on the MOST system since it was analog. you can follow the interface cable back to the interface box and check if plugged in or if it has power. red power, brown ground, twisted pair of wires is CANBUS, don't mess with them, you can follow them back to see if they plugged in, usually passenger side near the fuse box in the bottom of the cubby.
Old 12-13-2015, 02:11 PM

I haven't been able to get any life out of either my old school iPod 1 or my iPhone 6 with adapter, that said it must not be connected to any power. I could never find any aux setting in the command menu, but if it's not powered that makes sense. And I've never found anything in the cluster audio menu other than the ability to change channels or tracks depending on audio the audio source.
Old 12-14-2015, 10:05 AM

Not sure if this adds any info but both batteries were replaced prior to my purchase, since that time there have been two occasions where the command unit has told me that convenience features currently unavailable. Since that I hook it up to a centek monitor when it sits for extended periods.
Old 12-14-2015, 07:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

beater with a heater
That's normal
Old 12-16-2015, 08:30 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 CLS63s White
I have a SIMILAR problem (but not the same) maybe it will help the OP? and do not want to start another thread when this is soo similar..:

in my case the dealer cable works with my Ipod BUT if i try to use ANY kind of bluetooth streamer adapter I DO NOT get any kind of power light.... EX Tune2air1000 and a few other similar devices simply will not power up!! WTF??
do I have the right connector ?
the aux (red, white, yellow) connectors still work too.

everything else works including the stock BT setup (no music)
suggestions?
Thanks gurus!

Untill I get this BT setup working, I have to get by with a Wireless D.A.C streaming wi-fi in the glove box via the RCA jacks.. lotsa wyres! grrr

Last edited by rolling18; 12-16-2015 at 08:33 PM.