Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

AT&T To REPLACE TDMA Phones...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-08-2004, 08:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not a Benzer anymore
AT&T To REPLACE TDMA Phones...

http://www.engadget.com/entry/5326780577844212/

I should have opted for the Xenon headlights.
Old 03-08-2004, 10:45 AM

2004 S55
This has been on the horizon for a while as it was tough for them to keep 2 separate infrastructures going. Unfortunately, the coverage area was far better with TDMA than it is with their GSM service but all the best features were on GSM. The merger with Cingular should improve their GSM coverage but they'll still be a good way behind where they were with TDMA. I switched to Verizon a couple months ago as I felt it offered the best combination of features and coverage area.
Old 03-08-2004, 09:31 PM

06 Infiniti FX35, 07 SL55
What does this mean for those of us who have Motorola V60 TDMA phone option for our Mercedes?

Time to find a new wireless carrier? A new phone?

Paul
Old 03-09-2004, 07:19 PM

2004 S55
Originally posted by prsmith777
What does this mean for those of us who have Motorola V60 TDMA phone option for our Mercedes?

Time to find a new wireless carrier? A new phone?

Paul
Good question. There is a version of the v60 that supports GSM. The issue is whether MBUSA will get Motorola to issue one with the MB software on it. You could try inquiring to ATT first to see what they plan on replacing your phone with to confirm that there may be a problem (I would guess they know little about the MB software and the replacement they offer will be of little help). You could then try contacting MBUSA to see if they have a contingency plan. Hopefully they knew about this in advance. If not, they may be coming up with a plan for it now.

Of course, with number portability, switching carriers is a much less painful experience. I switched from AT&T to Verizon with no real problems.
Old 03-11-2004, 09:33 AM
Almost a Member!

2001 ML-320 & C-320
What does this have to do with TDMA?

I guess I am confused .... what does this have to do with the current V60/V60i Mercedes phones we use? They are a Tri-mode TDMA phone that run the old analog AMPS, 800MHz, and 1900Mz frequencies. The press release made it sound like the GSM phones that were offered at 1900MHz only would be effected?? Am I missing something here??

Paul
Old 03-12-2004, 11:10 PM

2001 CLK-430 Black
I just got a notice from ATT today in the mail that told me they would be sending me a Free T226 to replace my old T68i (which I dont even use anymore).
Old 03-14-2004, 10:41 PM

2004 Porsche Cayenne S, 2002 S430
Re: What does this have to do with TDMA?

Originally posted by paulhdick
I guess I am confused .... what does this have to do with the current V60/V60i Mercedes phones we use? They are a Tri-mode TDMA phone that run the old analog AMPS, 800MHz, and 1900Mz frequencies. The press release made it sound like the GSM phones that were offered at 1900MHz only would be effected?? Am I missing something here??

Paul
Actually, ATTWS is phasing out their TDMA network in favor of the combined Cingular/ATTWS GSM network. To date, most GSM system operators here in the US have used GSM1900 exclusively. With the reception problems in the 1900Mhz range, Cingular has opted to build their new networks as GSM850/1900 networks. The GSM850 band provides better reception (especially inside buildings). Of course, all of the phones currently available are GSM1900 so it's a bit of a Catch-22 for everyone right now.

So what does this have to do with us? Well, in addition to phasing out GSM1900, Cingular will also be phasing out their TDMA network AND ATTWS' TDMA network. This means that our very expensive phones in our very expensive cars are (to put it bluntly) KAPUT when the TDMA networks shut down. Yes, you can move to Sprint PCS or Verizon (CDMA) and continue to use your (new/old) replacement phone. But, if you travel overseas and want to take those phones with you, you'll be carrying a nice paperweight because they won't work in GSM networks.

The real answer to this mess is for Mercedes to recognize that poeple choose from a plethora of cell phones and there needs to be something like the Universal Handy Interface that would work with all phones.

I'm particularly interested in what Mik is doing, especially if he can make his setup work with the MPx200 SmartPhone. Even though it TOO will be phased out shortly by ATTWS (it doesn't support GSM850 and it's a BRAND NEW PHONE!), there is hope given the recent announcements by Motorola and the rumors of a new quad-band GSM MPx-series phones.

To summarize, if you are a Cingular or ATTWS customer so you can use your MB Motorola V60 or Timeport phone, your days of hands-free, integrated telephone bliss are numbered! And there is no real solution in sight for those of us who spent a ton of money on these things!

Toby

Last edited by tobyp; 03-14-2004 at 10:43 PM.