Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

HELP - w211 '03 E320 DVD/BACKUP CAMERA INSTALL

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-06-2016, 07:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 E 320 Sport
HELP - w211 '03 E320 DVD/BACKUP CAMERA INSTALL

Hi all,

I have an old E class in good shape but I'd like to modernize the interior a bit. From the small amount of information I've been able to gather, installing a dvd/backup camera touchscreen unit looks like a headache on this model.

Anyone out there successfully pull this off? How did you do it? What did you use?
Old 09-07-2016, 06:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
beater with a heater
There is tons of info on here via search. take it to a professional and be ready to fork some cash out. Your vehicle entertainment is out of date by over 14 years, I have had 7 pc's in that time. Just think of all the technology that came out in that time, USB Audio, HDMI, MHL, AndroidAuto, CarPlay, DVD Audio, DTS, Bluetooth, SiriusXM, WiFi, HD Radio.... all available in the newer Kenwood units... though the wifi unit radios are slow and i don't recommend after years of use. Kenwood 773s is my choice of the top radio on the planet.

You also have better technology and reliability that makes the products up, such as DAC's, internal processors and the amplifier circuits

The above was all mentioned so you'd loosen the wallet restrictions

When I was knocking out A/V systems for car back in the day, I'd ask the customer when they had a vehicle such as yours which is going to require some time and money... How long you in the vehicle daily and if you can live with it, then it is free and carry on. If you can't live with the lack of technology or better sound than pony up. minimal is $2k. which if you look at it also, is 10% of your vehicles worth.
Old 09-13-2016, 12:46 PM

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
2014 ML63 AMG, 2012 McLaren MP4-12C, 1999 GMC Sierra, 1994 Chevy Astro, 1990 Honda CRX
I'm still using the factory HU in my 2005, added factory bluetooth, updated factory nav to current maps, added factory satellite radio, and added a backup camera (not using any of the A/V inputs I could use also). I did all this for a reason, I don't want to swap literally every piece of audio equipment out just yet. Why swap all of it? The optical integration boxes available are outrageously priced for failing to fit the needs of an audiophile. Why waste $600 for 2 channel outputs when you can put that towards installing amps and have full adjustability?

So, to answer your question, yes, I have successfully modernized what is there from the factory. Now, it is worth mentioning I have the COMMAND/Harmon system. If I didn't have that, I would have ripped it all out and installed aftermarket everything.
Old 09-13-2016, 07:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

beater with a heater
so you are saying the $600 optical interface (which is $429 shipped from Access 1 Alarm) is less audiophile than your current system.... LOL "the needs of an audiophile"

What backup camera integration did you use? There is no input into an E class 04-until they changed it in 09?
Old 09-13-2016, 09:49 PM

2014 ML63 AMG, 2012 McLaren MP4-12C, 1999 GMC Sierra, 1994 Chevy Astro, 1990 Honda CRX
Originally Posted by jbondox
so you are saying the $600 optical interface (which is $429 shipped from Access 1 Alarm) is less audiophile than your current system.... LOL "the needs of an audiophile"

What backup camera integration did you use? There is no input into an E class 04-until they changed it in 09?
All the optical interface boxes I looked at in February when I got the car were $600 (looked at Access 1 Alarm website and saw no such device listed BTW). And yes, the needs of an audiophile are more than 2 channels. The stock system is 6 channels. The navigation uses the center channel, which would be lost in terms of independent volume controls, just like the sub. All of the time alignments, fading, independent nav volume, independent sub control, bluetooth phone audio, lost to 2 channel input fed into a 6 channel system. But, what do I know, I just make competition audio products to pay the bills.

The backup camera integration I am using is this one http://car-solutions.com/en/video-in...guidelines.php but I got it from a different vendor. I'm not using any of the additional video inputs, I thought about using MHL from my phone to feed into the display but haven't done it yet (yeah, it's a thing, requires 1 cable).
Old 09-14-2016, 07:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

beater with a heater
Ha, maybe you need to revisit your vehicles most system and how it works, I was on the optical interface project and the Porsche optical interface along with the Sirius interface over MOST. Further, ask anyone or read the reviews (or topics on here) that the sound quality is better with the optical interface.

The E class doesn't control the sub or center volume in independent channels. Output is controlled by the preset in the Audio Gateway. There is also no time alignment built into the AGW. I should know I had the circuit diagrams and the MB DAS info on it when working for MB. 09 had some time alignment in it but that was due to the AGW being incorporated into the COMAND itself, and that was only accessible in developer mode using the sds

MHL would be worthless on it, BTDT as "Hey Siri, Hey Google or Hey Cortana (lumina 950 with continuum & crux adapter) would only be the real way to control it unless you are going to finger f it. Plus the screen lacks any type of quality display. It would be just a gimmick, but people like gimmicks.

So either way you want to skin it, and I have done tons of audio in these, you can either replace it, toss expensive band-aids at it, add the optical interface to it. But what do I know, I only been doing high end audio since 94

so adding up all the accessories you tossed at it, and it is still an antique nav system, someone could be on the way to having a real modern unit installed in their dash.
Old 09-14-2016, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by jbondox
Ha, maybe you need to revisit your vehicles most system and how it works, I was on the optical interface project and the Porsche optical interface along with the Sirius interface over MOST. Further, ask anyone or read the reviews (or topics on here) that the sound quality is better with the optical interface.

The E class doesn't control the sub or center volume in independent channels. Output is controlled by the preset in the Audio Gateway. There is also no time alignment built into the AGW. I should know I had the circuit diagrams and the MB DAS info on it when working for MB. 09 had some time alignment in it but that was due to the AGW being incorporated into the COMAND itself, and that was only accessible in developer mode using the sds

MHL would be worthless on it, BTDT as "Hey Siri, Hey Google or Hey Cortana (lumina 950 with continuum & crux adapter) would only be the real way to control it unless you are going to finger f it. Plus the screen lacks any type of quality display. It would be just a gimmick, but people like gimmicks.

So either way you want to skin it, and I have done tons of audio in these, you can either replace it, toss expensive band-aids at it, add the optical interface to it. But what do I know, I only been doing high end audio since 94

so adding up all the accessories you tossed at it, and it is still an antique nav system, someone could be on the way to having a real modern unit installed in their dash.
I too have been in audio since 94, I'm also familiar with psycho-acoustics. I'm not doubting the antiquity of the screen quality, but I'm not trying to play HD movies on it. MHL would do everything needed for me. Collectively, getting off topic of my point. The point was, don't waste your money on 2 channel integration when you can spend that money on non-limiting factors, IE just ditch the optical and add amps so you have actual adjustability and superior quality.