Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Burmester needs volume to perform?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-25-2016, 01:04 PM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
2017 C300 Coupe, 2013 Cadillac ATS 2.0T
Burmester needs volume to perform?

Quite honestly, I wasn't happy with the Burmester sound system in my new car. Sound just didn't sound "full" or directional. Yeah, I had monkeyed with all its settings. Also, of note is that I only listen to Sirius and HD radio. However, although I'm not a music blaster, while fiddling around trying to get better sound, I turned up the volume and the system seemed to come to life. At lower sound levels, just about all sound seemed to come from the front speaker with very little bass, but when raising the level, sound was almost everywhere. Would appreciate comments on this observation.
Old 09-25-2016, 03:00 PM

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
E300 P03
Turn off the surround sound mode then adjust the EQ, fade, and balance settings. You might like the sound in the good old stereo mode. Burmester system applies a lot of DSP to "enhance" the interior acoustic, sound stage, and even engine sound.

Hope this helps.
Old 09-25-2016, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by ADD0514
Turn off the surround sound mode then adjust the EQ, fade, and balance settings. You might like the sound in the good old stereo mode. Burmester system applies a lot of DSP to "enhance" the interior acoustic, sound stage, and even engine sound.

Hope this helps.
Yeah, as I'm not listening to surround sound media, I guess I should go for the best in stereo. But as you seem to know a little (or maybe more) something about the sound system, could you comment on my up the volume comment?
Old 09-26-2016, 04:08 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet
Your ears don't hear sounds at the same EQ curve at lower volumes VS higher levels, say 90 db. That's why older stereos included what was called a "loudness button" which would boost lows and highs at lower listening levels. Today's DSP powered sound systems compensate automatically or allow a proper setup to be adjusted for the car's acoustics and the Fletcher Munson curve. Some do it better than others and some need to be adjusted for personal listening as subjective listening varies.
Old 09-26-2016, 04:19 AM

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
E300 P03
Originally Posted by flycaster
Yeah, as I'm not listening to surround sound media, I guess I should go for the best in stereo. But as you seem to know a little (or maybe more) something about the sound system, could you comment on my up the volume comment?
Your sound files are recorded in stereo mode. The Burmester system apply pseudo surround channels to the sound files before sending them to the speakers. The DSP (Digital Sound Processing) diffuse the sound field and take away some of the snaps in the surround mode. You can turn off the Burmester's surround sound mode and listen to the songs in the old fashioned way.
Old 09-26-2016, 07:36 AM

Thanks for the replies. I have disabled surround sound and have adjusted whatever else can be adjusted for both Sirius and for HD radio. Now been getting a "fuller" sound, but still have to up the volume a bit for that effect...as opposed to keeping the sound level at a lower level. Also, I'm finding that HD radio sounds somewhat better than Sirius.
Old 09-26-2016, 11:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014-GL 450
I have a 17 S Cab with a sub par burmester audio system. It is their HD and the sound fidelity at lower volumes lacks detail and equalization. The audio on my GL is actually far superior to this lousy sound. It sounds flat and muffled. Like you , when cranked , it gets better but still not what one would expect. I have been waiting a month and one half ( since New ) for the dealer to repair but they dont know however acknowledging a problem. Someone mentioned about a loudness control of yesterday and that is exactly what it sounds like. Disappointing they even let a car with a sound system as bad thru QC. At least glad to see there are others. Hope it can be fixed
Old 09-26-2016, 05:04 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet
Thanks for the replies. I have disabled surround sound and have adjusted whatever else can be adjusted for both Sirius and for HD radio. Now been getting a "fuller" sound, but still have to up the volume a bit for that effect...as opposed to keeping the sound level at a lower level. Also, I'm finding that HD radio sounds somewhat better than Sirius.
Both Sirius and HD radio use a very lossy compression and sound thin. Compare to a WAV (linear PCM) or even a 256KBPS MP3. Try a DVD or audio CD. My favorite reference is Donald Fagen's "Nightfly" or anything from Steely Dan.
Old 10-14-2016, 09:24 AM

Had to bring the coupe in yesterday because of chattering wipers. I also asked MB to check out the Burmester sound system. Interestingly, the SA appeared to be quite aware of this and said that they should be able to fix the problem...we'll see. What really PO'd me was that the loaner's sound (2016 c300 base sedan non-Burmester) was far superior to mine when using Sirius. The sound was clearly a fuller sound that filled the cabin better. I'll report back on the result of their fix and what they did.
Old 10-14-2016, 10:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014-GL 450
Burmerster - 3 D Poor quality audio

Had to bring the coupe in yesterday because of chattering wipers. I also asked MB to check out the Burmester sound system. Interestingly, the SA appeared to be quite aware of this and said that they should be able to fix the problem...we'll see. What really PO'd me was that the loaner's sound (2016 c300 base sedan non-Burmester) was far superior to mine when using Sirius. The sound was clearly a fuller sound that filled the cabin better. I'll report back on the result of their fix and what they did.
I am interested at hearing what they found if anything to improve the sub par quality of this expensive audio system. I just picked my S 550 cab up from the dealer yesterday and they said they did a full diagnostic. Reported all ( from memory ) 24 speakers are functioning and the amp is working fine. The more you listen to this audio system , the more horrendous it sounds. They cited because it was a convertible , a roof speaker could not be included in the design. This without question is the worst car audio system I can remember adding insult to injury the high cost. Mercedes really messed up on this and I dont see a solution. Hope you have better luck than I. Perhaps the standard audio system is better , it cant be much worse