Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

W211 Help with aftermarket Media Unit with Harman Kardon

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-07-2016, 07:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 E500 Wagon
W211 Help with aftermarket Media Unit with Harman Kardon

I just bought this unit and trying to figure out how to wire it to my existing Harman Kardon system. I'm fine with bypassing the fiber optics to run the wires from the front to the back amplifier, just trying to find the correct cables that will plug into my wiring harness that came with my unit.

This is the unit and cables that came with it.

If anyone can show me a guide how to do this or tell me what to buy, that would be great.

Thanks

Last edited by jburtonrider; 12-07-2016 at 07:34 AM.
Old 12-10-2016, 05:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
2004 SL55, 2015 A250d, 2016 GLC250d
This is far from trivial as you need to do one of two things
a) Put in the NAV-TV box that will put the audio on the fibre optics (I haven't checked if they do one for W212 though)
b) Replace the HK amp with a multi-channel amp fed from the 5 output channels (i.e including subwoofers) and then decide what you want to do with the centre channnel and any additional surround channels (you could just ignore them, or use amp in the head unit to drive them and set the gains on the new amp so you are happy with the balance/sound etc)

In the PIC above, 14 is meant to connect the audio output (7,8) to an analogue amplifier on the quadlock (item 10) 12 pin sub-connector. However Mercedes do not use analogue amplifiers on the quadlock - so that is weird.

Some of the chinese head unit suppliers (such as Dynavin) have solutions like the NAV-TV box but at a sensible price as the software than runs it is done in the Dynavin

Cheers

Richard
Old 12-11-2016, 10:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
beater with a heater
why install that junk to begin with. low quality crap
Old 12-11-2016, 01:10 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2016 GLE450 AMG Coupe
This is a MASSIVE undertaking, as most of the interior trim pieces (to access the cable loom channel) will have to be removed to do the job correctly. Hopefully your aftermarket deck came with ALL of the required connector/plug adapters to be able to connect to the factory multi-purpose (XM, GPS, Cellular) roof antenna. If not, you will either have to purchase these or "Frankenstein" a suitable cable/connector. I'm not saying it can't be done, but I am saying that it's pretty much an uphill struggle through the entire install. Good luck!
Old 12-11-2016, 09:10 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet
I have to say this... why buy a premium car and put a less than premium audio system or part in it? Come on people!
Old 12-11-2016, 09:21 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2016 GLE450 AMG Coupe
Not trying to thread-jack, but have you considered something like this (this is a video of my current setup):