Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Integrated phone....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-06-2004, 09:14 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes E500
Question Integrated phone....

Hi - I know this subject has been beaten to death :-) I just added - at the last minute before production - the integrated phone option with vcs - to my already loaded E500 4Matic. I think the overall opinion of this option is "nice integration but pricey for an old phone". I would like to ask if any others could share their experience with this feature. Also, I plan on using AT&T. I'm currently using T-Mobile - and I know they don't yet offer a UHI or GSM option (I'm in NYC). However, I was thinking about porting my cell number once I got the car. Does anyone know if the cell phone come already set up with a number,, or do you need to activate it the same way you would activate any new cell service? Also, has AT&T started replacing any of their phones yet? i.e. gsm v60, etc? Thanks for your help!
Old 04-06-2004, 11:20 AM

2000 E320 4Matic Obsidian Black/Ash
I just recently had the same questions, as a fellow NYer and T-mobile user.

My suggestion for you, get rid of Tmobile and switch to Verizon in NY.... I have never been happier to have a phone that actually works, which is important to have for business purposes.

The tmobile phones I had (SonyEricsson & Samsung) were really nice, but I never really used any of the features in them and the color screen was pointless for me.

The worldcoverage was a nice feature (GSM/Tmobile), but as far as that I kept the old Tmobile phone I had and I use a European SIM in the phone while in Europe which is much cheaper than Tmobiles $1/minute, and I also get a local number while I'm there.

The Verizon/Mercedes V60s is really nice, its simple and works! The battery is good, it has nice professional rings and a speakerphone built in. It's quick navigating the menus. I also tend to get coverage in elevators in NYC, which never happened with tmobile.

As for service in my E class, its great... Most people tell me when I'm driving "Oh you better not talk on the phone you're gonna get a ticket" because they think I'm holding the phone to my head when its all through the built in speakerphone. It takes a while to get used to, but it is a really nice feature to have (Once you get used to everyone looking at you "talking to yourself").

As far as the UHI connector, its available in Europe but I don't know when they are phasing it into the US. Perhaps you can get the dealer to upgrade you to it at no cost down the line, but not really sure. I think it will require a new PSE unit in the trunk and new cradle/install in the console...so that will be some cost.

BTW if you want to check out the V60s before you dish out the cash, you can always see them at the Verizon store.
Old 04-06-2004, 04:00 PM
Almost a Member!

Mercedes E500
Thanks. This is generally what i'm hearing. Essentially that it is a really nice convenience that integrates well into the car. I'm a phone addict in the sense that I typically like the lastest and greatest. However, i don't use most of the features - and the v60 was actually one of the more useful phones that i've ever owned. I don't think i'll be displeased. Did you port your number from the old to new? Also, did the phone come pre-activated or did you need to sign up for the service yourself?
Old 04-06-2004, 04:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 BMW 550i
The phone still needs to be activated with Verizon like any other phone. You can call them up and they will be able to do this pretty easily from the ESN number on a sticker that is behind the battery of the phone.

It is a pricey option, but it is a pretty cool one, that is useful. Some people have had some problems with it though. I think part of the extra cost is that they install the phone at the VPC instead of at the factory.

Verizon in my experience is great in NY and beyond.

Alternative methods are being developed to use other phones in US cars, see other posts in this forum for more information.
Old 04-06-2004, 04:44 PM

C320
Also, search this site for MikBox and checkout www.mikbox.com which looks very interesting indeed.