Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Adding Voice Recognition, What needs to be done with D2B/Fibre?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-12-2004, 11:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 E320 4Matic Obsidian Black/Ash
Adding Voice Recognition, What needs to be done with D2B/Fibre?

Voice recognition pack just came in with the fiber extension and module....

I've been reading about the D2B ring and I'm not sure what I need to do on this car to install the Fibre bit. The other cable is there.

I have the phone already installed, Bose, Teleaid, and No COMAND.

Where do I need to splice this extension into to get a fibre plug in for the VR module? I don't need to pull the head unit out right? The D2B coding bulletin from MB isn't making much sense to me...

Thanks for any info!
Old 04-12-2004, 07:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 96 Likes on 52 Posts
2015 E250D
If you installed the phone yourself then it should be easy. The module fits in the trunk under the carpet and under the plastic black piece. The connectors should already be there so there is no need for any additional connectors. Mount the unit there and the fiber connections should be there also. You'll have to take 2 of the connenctions apart and add the Voice module in between what you took apart so it's part of the loop as well. Lastly, remove dummy cap on steering column and install the lever.
Old 04-12-2004, 08:40 PM

The phone system was preinstalled from the factory so I didn't have to mess around with the fiber optic leads, just swap out the equipment that was already there.

I noticed there was an extra 15 pin (?) connector hanging around there (that goes to VR), but I didn't see another one of the orange fiber plugs that would go into the VR module.

I assume this extra loom that came with the VR kit needs to be hooked into the existing loop somehow.

You mentioned I need to take 2 connections apart and add the voice module in between the loop. Do I take the plug going into the PSE, split it and connect in the extra plug for the VR that way?

Maybe I should start by tracing the fiber lead that disappears into the other wires first...

Thanks for your help!
Old 04-12-2004, 08:44 PM
Super Moderator

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
2003 CL55 AMG
Originally posted by cobac
The phone system was preinstalled from the factory so I didn't have to mess around with the fiber optic leads, just swap out the equipment that was already there.

I noticed there was an extra 15 pin (?) connector hanging around there (that goes to VR), but I didn't see another one of the orange fiber plugs that would go into the VR module.

I assume this extra loom that came with the VR kit needs to be hooked into the existing loop somehow.

You mentioned I need to take 2 connections apart and add the voice module in between the loop. Do I take the plug going into the PSE, split it and connect in the extra plug for the VR that way?

Maybe I should start by tracing the fiber lead that disappears into the other wires first...

Thanks for your help!
Yes the DB15 plugs into the VR module. The orange D2B that goes into your PSE gets integrated with the new piece of fiber you have. Therefore the loop contiunes with a additional D2B connector that goes into the VR Module.
Old 04-12-2004, 10:31 PM

oh cool thanks.... Wasn't sure if it integrated into the PSE connector or somewhere else in the car... was looking into the documentation which lists which number the equipment is in the ring and didn't know if I had to splice it somewhere else in the ring.

Thanks
Old 04-15-2004, 05:13 PM

VR working halfway - Won't switch to Radio or CD

OK so I got the box in....

The radio works, the phone works, CD changer works, Voice actually works.... for telephone functions that is.

When I say "Radio" or I say "CD/CD Changer" it says "There is no device"....

When I say "Phone" it switches no problem right to the telephone. The VR works for the phone great!

Does this sound like a problem with the VR needing to be activated by the dealer? Or does it sound like I have the loop in the wrong place (Supposed to hook the loop before the phone instead of after? etc)

Or does it sound like the VR module is bad?

Thank you for any help!
Old 06-07-2004, 05:10 PM
Almost a Member!

C320 sports
Re: Adding Voice Recognition, What needs to be done with D2B/Fibre?

Originally posted by cobac
Voice recognition pack just came in with the fiber extension and module....
How much the kit cost and where did you get it from ??