Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

OEM style infotainment system advice?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 03:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS500
OEM style infotainment system advice?

Hey folks,

New to the forums, but not new to Mercedes. After inheriting my father's 98' E270 back when I first got my license, I had to save up for a while to afford a car that was something of a teen dream: the CLS. I had a CLS320 for nearly two years, but unfortunately, was part of a chain mega-crash on the highway in a winter storm of Biblical proportions. I took the insurance money and decided to upgrade to a fully decked-out CLS500 with all the bells and whistles.

My question is the following: I've been contemplating upgrading the built-in COMAND (NTG1, I believe, the car is production year 2004) to something that's more in tune with the times. I am mostly interested in Bluetooth and Google Maps, so an Android device would work just fine (even though I have an iPhone). I've been scouring the web for good candidate devices, but what I've found so far is:

1. They look nothing alike to the OEM system and just don't fit with the interior;
2. They kind of look like the OEM system, but don't seem to have been thoroughly thought out in terms of letting me keep my steering wheel controls;
3. All's good, but the interface is just comically bad, Dynavin style.

In summary, anybody able to recommend a system that looks like the OEM one or fits nicely with the rather classical interior, offers steering wheel integration, and has a non-terrible interface with bright colors?

Finally, from what I understand, with the NTG1 in the 500, unlike the NTG2.5 in my old 320, the Audio Gateway is in the trunk along with the Navigation processor. Would that make it much harder to integrate a new system if I don't give a hoot about the built-in Navigation?

Any suggestions/advice?

Cheers for reading through!
Old 05-05-2017, 01:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 e500 4matic wagon
I'm new here and also new to MB ..I bought an 04 e500 4matic wagon for the wife,clean low miles only issue I'm having is the radio cd slot is not accepting CDs,and the cd changer door under the radio isn't opening the radio works but shuts down after 15-20 minutes..also the navigation just shows previous owners destinations and I can't get it to accept new locations I found a few Bluetooth android aftermarket units on Amazon and eBay that supposed to be direct replacements as far as fitting in the original factory area any sugestions besides forcing the door open and bringing the car to a stealership..thx