Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

LOGIC7 and DVD-A - how does LOGIC7 work?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-24-2017, 09:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2018 GLE350
LOGIC7 and DVD-A - how does LOGIC7 work?

Hi - I have a new 2018 GLE350 - I own a bunch of DVD-A discs I play on my home surround system so i thought I might be able to play those on the HK LOGIC7 system. But when I insert any of the discs, the screen says "Disc Unreadable" The discs work fine on other sound systems. I'd like to learn a bit more about how this system works but the owners manual that came with the car only says "refer to the digital owners manual" for info on the sound system. There is no "digital owners manual" which came with my folder of manuals etc. Any idea how I can locate an owners manual for the sound system? Trying to figure out what format of song files it can play, for example - it seems that it will only play MP3 and M4A but would like to confirm.

Anyone here have any success playing DVD-A on this system? Thanks
Old 11-25-2017, 11:57 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E400 C207
The manual you need is likely found on this page https://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/only_...owners_support
Old 11-28-2017, 09:12 AM

Received 143 Likes on 118 Posts
2016 E400 Coupe (C207)
I can't answer your disc playback question, but the "Digital Owners Manual" is installed by the owner to the COMAND hard drive via a CD that is supposed to be provided when the car is purchased. Obtaining a copy of this CD can be challenging if you didn't receive it with the other documentation when you picked up your car. I bought my car CPO and the dealer did not have the CD, nor could it be ordered "under warranty". My salesperson eventually found a used-with-no-packaging copy somewhere around the dealership and gave it to me in a ziplock bag.

The CD is inserted into the drive and the software is installed from it, just as you would install software to a computer. When done, the "Digital Owners Manual" can be accessed through COMAND and I believe it displays context-based information, e.g., if you're currently using the navigation system, the content displayed from the digital manual is related to navigation. It's all very annoying because accessing and reading how-to information from the COMAND screen while driving is both tedious and dangerous. Whoever came up with this idea should be smacked.
Old 12-23-2017, 02:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 138 Likes on 93 Posts
W221 S600, W220 S55 AMG Kompressor, W124 300E, W140 S320, W210 E3204M W164 ML320 Bluetec
The Logic 7 is a faux surround sound. If the COMAND does not display the DVD-A logo when you put a disc in, it does not support the DVD-A 192k/96-bit playback o a DVD-A. The DVD-A is best listened to with no sound manipulation so if it did play it, I would turn off Logic 7.

The sad fact is optical media is a dying breed. You are expected to may the same price for lossy MP3 files than DVD-A and provide your own storage medium to hold the files. It's one technology that is getting worse and not improving. I was disappointed when I drove the 2017 E-class and discovered they have dropped the optical drive. Not even a single disc, much less a changer. I keep DVD-A or DD5.1 or DTS 5.1 concerts in my DVD changer in my W221, and it make driving the car even more of a pleasure.
Old 02-14-2018, 10:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 CLA 250 Sport
I find DVD-Audio discs will work only if a DD5.1 or DTS (which are DVD-Video options) sound option is also provided on the DVD-A menu (many DVD-As do because of this compatibility problem). Some of these only have the HD Advanced Resolution Stereo files and won't work on a DVD player that does not recognize HighRes DVD Audio. So essentially the DTS and DD5.1 playback is more like a DVD-Video which the system seems to read much better - and you'll hear the music in true surround with a slideshow or something. At home, some DVD players have a setting that you have to choose what format reads by default when a DVD-A is encountered. When I found out most of the DVD-A music is not in surround, but HD Stereo - I want the DTS or DD5.1 track, so I tell the DVD to choose DVD-Video b default and then I get those sound choices which I like better anyway.

I also discovered - if I extract the multitracks off the DVD and compile individual multitrack DTS WAV files and burn just those to a CD-R - I can make a DTS-CD which plays nicely in DTS surround on the COMAND system. But yes, currently the 2018 Fleetwood Mac DVDA - I have to choose DTS or DD5.1 sound in the DVD's menu to play the surround. The HighRes DVD-Audio does not work.
It takes some tinkering around and trial and error - but I think you'll understand if you try some with those sounds options on the Disc.
have fun!
steve

PS - do not use the Logic7 selection in COMAND to listen to TRUE surround sound SOURCES...it will screw up the TRUE SURROUND MIX provided by the source. Use Logic 7 for things like the Radio and playing stereo source mp3's and things like that which can improve with the Logic7 separation chip to give you a faux surround sound.
Old 02-16-2018, 07:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 138 Likes on 93 Posts
W221 S600, W220 S55 AMG Kompressor, W124 300E, W140 S320, W210 E3204M W164 ML320 Bluetec
Some of my High Resolution DVD-A discs do not show any slideshow of video and only appear as an audio disc. These do not provide an option for DTS 5.1 or Dolby Digital 5.1. Unfortunately, newer Mercedes-Benz models are dropping optical drives entirely, and it is very difficult to find a “new” aftermarket head unit that will play DVD-A media. The manufacturers that signed up originally and offered the playback option for this medium have already dropped it. We are now in the era of worse/compresses audio with no dynamic range, because that’s what people pay for.
Old 02-16-2018, 08:13 PM

Received 140 Likes on 125 Posts
2014 ML350 2w, 2017 GLS550, 1967 Pontiac GTO 4 sp
Originally Posted by Mr. Toad
I can't answer your disc playback question, but the "Digital Owners Manual" is installed by the owner to the COMAND hard drive via a CD that is supposed to be provided when the car is purchased. Obtaining a copy of this CD can be challenging if you didn't receive it with the other documentation when you picked up your car. I bought my car CPO and the dealer did not have the CD, nor could it be ordered "under warranty". My salesperson eventually found a used-with-no-packaging copy somewhere around the dealership and gave it to me in a ziplock bag.

The CD is inserted into the drive and the software is installed from it, just as you would install software to a computer. When done, the "Digital Owners Manual" can be accessed through COMAND and I believe it displays context-based information, e.g., if you're currently using the navigation system, the content displayed from the digital manual is related to navigation. It's all very annoying because accessing and reading how-to information from the COMAND screen while driving is both tedious and dangerous. Whoever came up with this idea should be smacked.
I'll help you swing the hammer. Unadulterated BS. To make matters worse, I found the equivalent of the on board digital manual in no-longer-available MB Guides app. Downloaded them to my iPad and iPhone. MB released the Guides again in the German App Store but so far not in the US. The app I have is not compatible with IOS 11. If I update to IOS 11 the Guides will go away. Schmucks.....
The following users liked this post:
Mr. Toad (02-19-2018)