Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Apple Carplay/Android Auto

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-31-2018, 06:26 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 Mercedes-Benz CLS63 AMG S
Apple Carplay/Android Auto

Hi all, I am looking to buy a preowned 2016 Mercedes Benz CLS63 AMG S. I very much want android auto to be part of the COMAND unit. I was reading that vehicles with a build date of 12/1/15 and greater have the apple carplay and android auto built in. I found a preowned vehicle with a build date 9/28/15 that I am interested in. Can the COMAND unit be updated to add the apple carplay and android auto? It appears it is the same COMAND unit in pre 12/1/15 build cars with a model number 531 COMAND APS NTG5/NTG5.5 so it would logically seem that just a software or firmware update could ad this option.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 01-05-2021, 07:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MERCEDES-BENZ CLA 200 d (117.308)
Exclamation ANDROID AUTO WITH MERCEDES AUDIO 20 RADIO NAVIGATION CAPABLE NTG5

Hi, I own a mercedes CLA 200 d (117.308), number WDD1173081N391857 - Delivey date 2016/05/23 with AUDIO 20 RADIO NAVIGATION CAPABLE NTG5. I would like to know how can I activate android auto? and enter the hidden menu ?. Thanks
I would be very happy if someone would help me.
Old 01-06-2021, 07:06 AM

A Class W176
How to access variant coding/enable Android Auto?

Hi,

To access the engineering menu in my A Class I hold the end call (red phone) + 1 + #.

My only issue is I cannot access the variant coding page (it skips passed the selection when I go down through the options) which I believe gives me a load of options I can change, and potentially activate Android Auto? The car has Carplay activated and as you can see from the images below I have an option for AndroidAuto in the engineering menu showing software version etc. It seems I have all the hardware/software already installed, anyone know if I can activate it myself?

My vehicle is a July 2016 A Class W176 with Audio 20.

Thanks in advance.

Old 10-28-2021, 03:59 PM

GLA 2015
Originally Posted by LappyGB
Hi,

To access the engineering menu in my A Class I hold the end call (red phone) + 1 + #.

My only issue is I cannot access the variant coding page (it skips passed the selection when I go down through the options) which I believe gives me a load of options I can change, and potentially activate Android Auto? The car has Carplay activated and as you can see from the images below I have an option for AndroidAuto in the engineering menu showing software version etc. It seems I have all the hardware/software already installed, anyone know if I can activate it myself?

My vehicle is a July 2016 A Class W176 with Audio 20.

Thanks in advance.

Hi, Did you find an answer to your question? I'm trying to do the same in my car as well.
Old 10-28-2021, 04:28 PM

A Class W176
Yes I got it working but don't have the car anymore, there was an option in variant coding next to a Carplay setting that activated Android Auto, literally just needed to change it to on. Possibly page 2 from memory?

It didn't work instantly but the next morning when I started the car Android Auto was available. I will admit WhatsApp on it was a bit buggy but maps and other apps worked sweet.
Old 10-28-2021, 04:33 PM

GLA 2015
Many thanks. I will go and try it now. Not sure if I will have it as an option as I have a GLA late 2015 but have the USB with the tablet sign and NTG5.
Old 10-28-2021, 06:01 PM

GLA 2015
Originally Posted by LappyGB
Yes I got it working but don't have the car anymore, there was an option in variant coding next to a Carplay setting that activated Android Auto, literally just needed to change it to on. Possibly page 2 from memory?

It didn't work instantly but the next morning when I started the car Android Auto was available. I will admit WhatsApp on it was a bit buggy but maps and other apps worked sweet.
Now I have the same problem that I can't go to variant coding. It will skip it as you said in your original post. How did you manage to sort that?

Last edited by MRABIE; 10-28-2021 at 06:46 PM. Reason: to add images