Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Close Gate with remote

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-19-2018, 08:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 pre-facelift S212 E220 / 2006 W251 R320CDI
Close Gate with remote

Hi,

I'm the owner of an S212/2013 since December 2016, I'm really satisfied with the car but there are some points that I missed from my previous car, ok that some of them are related with the equipment level but nerveless It seems to me basic features.

One of the functions that I specially miss is the tailgate closing using the remote, it may seem nothing special but I get used to it in my previous car, and is specially useful when you have small children that don't reach the closing button on the lid.

From the search that I perform on the internet, it seemed to me that the solutions available were rather expensive, one of them was near €200 and implied to connect a lot of wires, the result was pressing two times the lock or unlock and the gate would close.

Not satisfied with the described solution, I decide to give a serious look myself to the issue and arrange a solution, clearly the beginning was to find and action that happens in the car during the use of lock/unlock that could command a relay to act in parallel with the tailgate button, I don't see any problem in closing the tailgate with only one push of the remote button. I easily found it, the fuel cover is electrically locked/unlocked when lock/unlock the car, so I opened the inner lining on the side of the fuel cover, in S212 is on the same location of the fuse box, and I disconnect the plug that act on the cover lock, in my car they are the blue and brown (with a color line):

Fule cover connector and wires

I tested the plug and it have 12v during the lock/unclock of the car, so I decided to put a relay on it, I cutted the wires and made a parallel connection to the relay.

My only doubts at this time was what would happen if I act on the tailgate button when it is closed, would the gate open? Would the car report a malfunction? I decided to go forward with the implementation.

Next step was to connect the trigered pins of the relay in parallel with the tailgate button, I remove it to confirm the way it worked, I used this video to guide the way to disassemble it, is a diferent car but the process is basicly the same:

After I removed the button, I saw that it had 3 wires, one completly brown that I confirmed to be the mass/negative, another brown with a stripe that I conclude to be for the button ilumination and yellow that is the one that connect to the ECU of the electrical tailgate.

Button connector and wires

When I tested the button, I realize that is not a simple button, when it is pressed there is around 320ohm, I disassemble the button and I confirmed the existence of a resistance in serial.

Tailgate button
So, I just have to put the same resistance in serial with the acted pins of the relay, so, putting the relay near the fuse box, one of the acted pin connect the resistance and then to the mass/negative, the other relay pin to the thinner yellow wire of the tailgate button.

Now I had to pass a wire form the tailgate button to the fuse box area, after looking a lot to the tailgate I though that was to hard for me to disassemble everything, so I decide to make a map from the wire on the tailgate and check were they go , I discover that both tailgate inner lights have direct wires to the fuse box, hum probably just one wire is enough for both lights, so I cut the purple with white stripe and I connected it to the left light.

Right inner tailgate light
I cut the same wire on the side of the fuse box and connect it to the other acted pin of the relay, then I connect it to the thin yellow wire on the buton side.

I tested and .... works, when I press the lock or unlock on the remote, the trunk close, when the trunk is already closed, nothing happens, so is working as I wish.

The connection diagram is this one, in red the additional wires that I installed:

Diagram

This is working for about 6 moths, I spend around 3 euros and 1 hour work.

This should work for every electrical tailgate, feel free to ask for any clarification.
The following users liked this post:
DaveManz (03-21-2018)