Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

CD Changer Problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-22-2004, 12:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 96 Likes on 52 Posts
2015 E250D
CD Changer Problem

I have a new cd changer problem. The changer is totally dead. The magazine will not eject at all and there is no noise from it at all. The whole system is dead. There is no sound at all from the speakers even if I switch to radio mode. I removed the changer from the fiber loop and my radio works fine after that. Could it be the fiber optic cable from head unit to the changer? Even if it is this, shouldn't the changer atleast eject the magazine?
Old 05-22-2004, 01:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
Re: CD Changer Problem

Originally posted by sunman
I have a new cd changer problem. The changer is totally dead. The magazine will not eject at all and there is no noise from it at all. The whole system is dead. There is no sound at all from the speakers even if I switch to radio mode. I removed the changer from the fiber loop and my radio works fine after that. Could it be the fiber optic cable from head unit to the changer? Even if it is this, shouldn't the changer atleast eject the magazine?
Your analysis is correct.

It is likely that:

1) the changer is dead

2) the power wiring to the changer is bad

3) the COMAND feeding the power to the changer is bad

A bad fibre optic cable would still allow the cartridge to eject; although the other symptoms would be the same.

If you have a voltmeter, check the power at your CD changer between the red/black and brown wires. The red wire should have a constant 11-14v.

If you have power, then your changer is probably bad. This prevents fibre optic signals from reaching your amp, and therefore no sound (MOST-bus corrects this deficiency by allowing defective components to act as repeaters).

If you don't have power, you may want to check the C1 plug in back of your COMAND. Check for burning around the connector. Check for power at the connector. If you have power, then your cable is bad. If you don't have power, then your COMAND is at fault.

Good luck!

-s-
Old 05-22-2004, 01:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

P.S. if your changer is dead, you can get the magazine out by removing the screws that hold the cover on and then removing the cover; then with a tool or your fingers or something, turn the motor which operates the ejection mechanism (there are only three motors, one for laser positioning, one for spinning CDs, and one for loading/ejecting discs).

-s-
Old 05-24-2004, 10:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 96 Likes on 52 Posts
2015 E250D
I'll check all this once I get home. I hope the Comand is ok. I have a feeling it's the changer. I guess it should be corrected with Warranty since it was factory installed.
Old 05-24-2004, 03:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

My changer was replaced under warranty in my G-class. Before it died, it did start exhibiting distorted sound quality... so there was some warning.

-s-