Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Comand Fades and Goes Black - Will Come Back Playing the Last Entry - Can't Change

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-16-2018, 12:56 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2016 GLE300d 4Matic
Comand Fades and Goes Black - Will Come Back Playing the Last Entry - Can't Change

My 2010 GLK with Comand seems to work frequently, but now getting worse. The screen will fade to black and lose the station playing. It will come back and play the same station but you can't change it, only turn it off. The display is black or only showing the Comand splash screen. If you leave it on it will repeat this cycle over a 2 or 3 minute time period. I'm reluctant to take it to my local shop and start throwing money at it. Reading other posts it seems I could throw thousands at it with an unsure chance of success.
I looked for OBDII faults or faults pending and there was nothing there.
Sometimes it seems to go for quite a while with no failures.
Looking at the older posts there were some similar ones but different enough and a different Comand vintage so I was uncertain how applicable the problems were.
Thanks for weighing in
Old 07-11-2018, 08:31 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
R350 4matic
When I had my Comand unit on my 2006 R350 looked at by local repair experts - they indicated that the control unit (front panel) on the Comand units are prone to failure (moisture, dust etc over time takes its toll). Unfortunately for me my woes went even deeper than that, and I ended up fitting a new aftermarket unit for less than they could source and fit a used Comand unit.