Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

2003 CLK 320 Bose Radio Woes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-08-2018, 08:36 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2003 CLK 320 convertible
2003 CLK 320 Bose Radio Woes

I posted this in the CLK section but thought I should ask here also.

Car is a 2003 CLK320 Cabriolet with the Bose radio and a CD changer in the trunk.

Last week on a trip the display on the radio died, It just went away. You can still turn the radio on and off with the on/off switch on the radio face. You can tune the radio stations manually with the buttons on the radio, you can play cassettes and CD, In fact everything works except you are doing everything blind. While the radio is on or off you can use the buttons on the steering wheel to go to the audio section and it shows the radio is off even when it's on. The volume control buttons on the steering wheel work. I hope all that is a clear description of the problem I'm experiencing. Everything else, non-radio related, on the steering wheels controls functions as normal.

What's the consensus? Can the radio be repaired or should I just replace it.
Old 07-12-2018, 07:16 PM

2003 CLK 320 convertible
Before replacing it I decided to take the radio out of the car and look at it closely. Nothing seemed amiss, all three factory multiplugs the cable to the disc changer, and the antenna; all were tight and properly seated I pulled the unit and then reinstalled it. Now it works again. Who knows why or how it quit and then healed itself. Anyway, I'll replace it if it dies again, For now I'm satisfied, since all I listen to is FM and the MP3 player I installed the aftermarket aux input jack for years ago.
Old 07-12-2018, 07:16 PM

2003 CLK 320 convertible
Follow up.

Before replacing it I decided to take the radio out of the car and look at it closely. Nothing seemed amiss, all three factory multiplugs the cable to the disc changer, and the antenna; all were tight and properly seated I pulled the unit and then reinstalled it. Now it works again. Who knows why or how it quit and then healed itself. Anyway, I'll replace it if it dies again, For now I'm satisfied, since all I listen to is FM and the MP3 player I installed the aftermarket aux input jack for years ago.