Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Aftermarket Radio

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-11-2018, 10:52 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
R350 4matic
Aftermarket Radio

R350 4matic
R350 Aftermarket RadioHi all,

REPOSTED from R351 forum.

I thought I would share my experience in replacing my head-unit with an aftermarket (Android) unit in my 2006 Mercedes Benz R350 with Harmon/Kardon (optical) sound system. This because the unit died (all controls stopped working) - and despite trying for several weeks - a local repair shop could not fix it. So rather than spending north of $650 to replace the unit with a used MB unit - I opted for a modern replacement. After looking at various options from aftermarket fitters (including online vendors like Crutchfield) - I opted to do it myself - basically to save money. The lowest quote I got to have one fitted (and they won't fit anything other than Jensen/Pioneer/ etc.) was $1100!

I started by doing some research months in advance - and considered both a 2xDIN fitting kit and a generic radio and some of the aftermarket units from China that fit into the dash as a custom replacement. Alongside were the considerations for how to keep the Harmon/Kardon system working, not losing navigation and aux input..

I settled on an Android unit - which although available locally - is considerably less expensive when you order it directly from China. There are a number of manufacturers/sellers (Seicane, Kunfine, etc.) that sell aftermarket units for a wide variety of vehicles - including Mercedes A, B, C, E, G, M, R and Vaneo ranges (across multiple model years too). When I discussed this option with fitters - they all warned me off - but my experience has been pretty positive. I will take stock in a couple of months - it was only fitted at the beginning of January - but so far I am very satisfied.

I settled on a unit from Kunfine (although it appears to be identical to the Seicane units - even the instruction manuals are exactly the same) and purchased off eBay.

I also bought an optical converter from Seicane (www.seicane.com) who make a range that covers just about all the MOST fitted vehicles.

The radio comes with all the connections required (for cars without the Optical connections), and was pretty easy to fit.
The only time I needed to get a soldering iron out was to provide power to the Optical converter - which I simply spliced into the power lines between the car and the radio (+/-/ground).

The optical converter takes 2 speaker outputs and turns the audio into a MOST (bus) compatible signal for the amplifier to understand. Sound quality is undiminished except as listed in the caveats below.

Improvements:
1. Up-to-date maps
2. Integrated Bluetooth (phone and audio)
2. DVD/TV player
3. Wifi on the unit to support Airplay/MirrorLink
4. Expandable with additional apps.

So what are the downsides?
1. I would have preferred an Microsoft CE unit - simply because you typically get full Apple iPod/iPhone music integration over USB with those (which I do not have).
2. The integration into the electronics (CANBUS) means that you get the radio station/track information on the instrument cluster - but you do not get Compass/Navigation info, and you cannot change the time on the dash.
3. You cannot change any of the settings for the speakers. Because you take 2 outputs and turn them into 7 - you essentially get uniform distribution of the 2 channels left and right - no fancy 'audio modes'.
4. Figuring out which antenna lead to use is a 50/50 affair (I got it wrong first time - and got VERY poor radio reception off the GPS antenna!).
5. Cosmetically it looks good (I can post a photo if you would like) - but you do lose the wood strip across the top of the radio.

Note that this repost is 6 months after install, and besides having to reseat the MOST adapter connection - I have had no issues with this unit. I am in the process of installing a reversing (backup) camera, and an external microphone to enhance voice quality on phone calls.

Similar units are available for many Mercedes models, and it would be worth taking a look (iceboxauto if you are in UK/Europe; or Seicane globally; there are also some sellers on Amazon and eBay).